Why does soda fizz when it's warm?

• Thread starter bjon-07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the solubility of gases in liquids decreases with increasing temperature. This is because gases have higher vapor pressure at higher temperatures, making them less soluble. However, exceptions such as helium in water exist. It is important to consider both enthalpy and entropy changes in the solution process when making generalizations about solubility. The warm temperature of soda causes the gas (CO2) to have enough energy to escape from the solution, resulting in fizzing.
bjon-07
Solvation of gas in soda...

Why does warm soda fizz while cold soda does not?

I have been told that it is due to the solubility of the solvent which fluctues with temperature.

But why is CO2 LESS solubile in soda/beer/ (WATER) as the temperature increases. It most instances i have seen in chem lab as the temperature of a solution increase its able to solvate molecues also increases. This is the oppisite of what I have been told about warm soda.

Can some one please explain to me what why sodas fizz when they are warm would greatly appreate it.(^0^...diethyl ether)

^0

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dear friend,

Gases tend to be less soluble in higher temperature, since their vapor pressure increases with increasing temperature. There is an inveresly proportional relationship between solubility of gases in liquids and the temperature of the medium (liquid).

Ohh yeah...duh! So the gas acquires more energy thus it has enough energy to excape from the solution :yuck:

--- with the exception of He in water, and probably a couple other odd actors.

Keep in mind that solubility depends upon enthalpy AND entropy changes in the solution process. Intuitive generalizations based on trends in either function alone can lead you astray.

You are right, Bystander. Generalizations may sometimes be dangerous, I agree with you.

1. What is solvation?

Solvation is the process of dissolving a solute (in this case, gas) in a solvent (soda) to create a homogenous mixture.

2. How does gas solvation occur in soda?

Gas solvation in soda occurs through diffusion, where the gas molecules move from an area of high concentration (the gas) to an area of low concentration (the soda).

3. What factors affect the solvation of gas in soda?

The factors that affect gas solvation in soda include temperature, pressure, and the concentration of gas and soda. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the solubility of gas in soda, while higher concentrations of gas and soda can lead to faster solvation.

4. Why does soda release gas when opened?

Soda releases gas when opened because the pressure inside the bottle is higher than the atmospheric pressure outside. When the bottle is opened, the pressure is released, causing the gas to escape from the solution in the form of bubbles.

5. Can the solvation of gas in soda be reversed?

Yes, the solvation of gas in soda can be reversed through a process called degassing. This involves reducing the pressure and/or increasing the temperature of the soda, causing the gas to escape from the solution.