Finding unknown mass using a lever system

In summary: The equations m1g*w1=m2g*w2 and m2g*w1=m3g*w2 can be solved to find the unknown mass m2, which is equal to the square root of the product of known masses m1 and m3.
Oldblood

Homework Statement

We have a lever system. The end of the left side is a distance w1 from the pivot. The end of the right side is a distance w2 from the pivot. When no masses are attatched the lever is touching the ground on the left side. We place a known mass called m1 on the far left side and an unknown mass m2 on the far right side. The system is now in equilibrium. Then we remove the masses and place the mass m2 on the far left side and a know mass m3 on the right side. The system is again in equilibrium. Find an expression for the unknown mass m2 expressed by the known masses m1 and m3.

Homework Equations

Equation for static equilibrium.

The Attempt at a Solution

m1g*w1+Mgx=m2g*w2

m2g*w1+Mgx=m3g*w2

M is the mass of the lever and x is the distance the center of mass is from the pivot. Subtracting the frist equation from the 2nd let's me get rid of Mgx but I can't seem to get rid of w1 and w2. The answer is supoused to be m2=sqrt (m1*m3). I've notice that this is the answer you get if you ignore Mgx from the equations, so what I don't understand is why you can do that. Mgx is generating a torque and I don't understand why you can just say that m1g*w1=m2g*w2 and m2g*w1=m3g*w2

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are accounting for the individual weights, it would be redundant (and incorrect) to also account for the CM.

Last edited:

1. How does a lever system work?

A lever system is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or beam that pivots on a fulcrum. When a force is applied to one end of the lever, it creates a turning effect that can be used to lift or move objects.

2. What is the formula for finding unknown mass using a lever system?

The formula for finding unknown mass using a lever system is: Mass of load = (distance of load from fulcrum / distance of effort from fulcrum) x mass of effort

3. How do you determine the distance of load and effort from the fulcrum?

The distance of load and effort from the fulcrum can be measured using a ruler or tape measure. The fulcrum is the point of rotation for the lever, so it should be clearly marked. The distance is measured from the fulcrum to the center of the load and the center of the effort.

4. Can a lever system be used to find the mass of any object?

A lever system can be used to find the mass of any object as long as the object is able to be balanced on the lever and the distances of the load and effort from the fulcrum can be accurately measured.

5. Are there any limitations to using a lever system to find unknown mass?

One limitation of using a lever system to find unknown mass is that the lever must be in equilibrium, meaning that the forces on both sides of the fulcrum must be balanced. Additionally, the lever may not be able to support extremely heavy objects or objects that are not evenly distributed.