Any advice on taking Calculus III when Calculus II was hard?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience with Calculus II and their need to take Calculus III. They are considering retaking Calculus II or reviewing it on their own before taking Calculus III. Different opinions are shared on the difficulty of Calculus III and the importance of having a strong foundation in Calculus II before moving on. The suggestion is made to take the courses separately and finish Calculus II strongly before starting Calculus III.
keithb2011
I barely passed Calculus II, I got 50 in the whole course after finals and I had 56 before finals. The class avg was around a high D but I can't remember exactly now but that's besides the point. Calculus II at my college was integral calculus with some application of integrals(volume, surface area). I need Calculus III, and I don't really want to retake Calculus II. I'm ready to put more work into my courses now so is there any advice on what I should do? I thought I should review the entire Calculus II course on my own but that may be impossible? I don't know I need some sound advice any takers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I personally thought Calc III was much, much easier than Calc II. I've heard that from a lot of people too, depending on what your school is like, it's pretty much extending Calc I into multiple variables with a couple other things included.

I agree with mg0stisha. In my experience, Calc3 was much more conceptual. My professor was more concerned with, "do you know what kind of integral to use here, and how you would set it up?" than the "here is a crazy integral: solve it" that you see a lot in Calc2.

Sounds like good news. Thanks.

It's a bad idea to build a house on a shaky foundation. You need to have it down cold. This may not mean retaking it, but it probably means that you need to put about as much work in as if you did retake it.

Calc 3 was very much different than Calc 2, but it's still lots of work! Just be prepared to put the effort forth and you should do fine.

p.s. I don't think it was quite as easy as some say here!

It's a bad idea to build a house on a shaky foundation. You need to have it down cold. This may not mean retaking it, but it probably means that you need to put about as much work in as if you did retake it.

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Calculus III tends to be multivariable calculus, which involves multiple integrals. While many professors I know tend to give simpler integrals in Calculus III than in its precursor, some require students to use all of the techniques of integration from Calculus II in solving multiple integrals. Unless you have an urgent need for Calculus III, it might benefit you a lot to retake Calculus II. Alternatively, you could consider taking them concurrently, but that might get messy.

The good news is, while I found Calculus III a good bit more difficult than Calculus II, the two are rather different, so difficulty with one might not necessary imply difficulty with the other.

If you are weak in Calculus II, then study it again. Not enough time now to restudy it on your own before the spring term begins. Best is to retake the whole Calculus II course.

Some people said Calculus III was easier, and some said it was harder. Take no risks. Enroll in the courses separately, not in the same semester. Finish Calculus II well, before beginning Calculus III.

1. "Why is Calculus III considered more difficult than Calculus II?"

Calculus III builds upon the concepts and techniques learned in Calculus II, but also introduces new topics such as vector calculus, multivariable calculus, and partial derivatives. These concepts can be more abstract and require a deeper understanding of calculus principles.

2. "How can I prepare for Calculus III if I struggled with Calculus II?"

It is important to review and solidify your understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques from Calculus II before moving on to Calculus III. This can include practicing with past exams and homework assignments, seeking help from a tutor or professor, and reviewing materials from the previous course.

3. "What are some common challenges students face in Calculus III?"

Some common challenges in Calculus III include understanding the geometric interpretations of multivariable calculus, visualizing and manipulating vector functions, and applying partial derivatives and multiple integrals to real-world problems.

4. "Are there any specific study strategies that can help me succeed in Calculus III?"

Some effective study strategies for Calculus III include breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, practicing with a variety of examples, seeking help from a tutor or study group, and reviewing class notes and textbook material regularly.

5. "What resources are available for students struggling with Calculus III?"

Many universities offer tutoring services, study groups, and office hours with professors for students who are struggling with Calculus III. Online resources such as video tutorials and practice problems can also be helpful in supplementing course materials.