Alternatives to Mesoscopic Electronics in Solid State Nanostructures

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties with the textbook "Mesoscopic Electronics in Solid State Nanostructures" and the search for alternative resources. The options mentioned include "Electronic transport in mesoscopic systems" by Supriyo Datta, a book by Thomas Ihn, and two books by Mark A. Reed. The conversation suggests that these alternative resources may be more pedagogical and up-to-date than Heinzel's book.
HappyJazz
Alternatives to "Mesoscopic Electronics in Solid State Nanostructures"

Greetings.

I'm having a course called "Quantum Electronics", and one of the textbooks is "Mesoscopic Electronics in Solid State Nanostructures" by Thomas Heinzel. However, I find the book is often skipping an explanation of the real physics behind different subjects, which makes it kind of hard to learn from. I find the illustrations to be uninformative and the book is generally full of errors and typos in the formulas.

So I'm looking for alternatives to supplement my reading. I have previously been given a few handouts from "Electronic transport in mesoscopic systems" by Supriyo Datta, and it seems much more pedagogical. However, the book is from 1995, so I'm kinda worried that it is outdated.

So, do you guys have experience with Heinzel's book, and do you know of any alternatives that might be more pedagogical and supplement my reading?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Are in taking a course intended for Physics or Engineering Students ?

Hidden Physics points at engineering.

You may want to try the following book by Thomas Ihn:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199534438/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you find Datta's book good then go ahead with it, the basics didn't change much since then, back then (1995) they had the theory but probably not the experimental verification.

You can also check:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521877482/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521896347/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are mesoscopic electronics?

Mesoscopic electronics refers to electronic devices or structures that have dimensions in the range of 1-100 nanometers, which is between the macroscopic and microscopic scales.

2. Why are alternatives to mesoscopic electronics being explored?

Mesoscopic electronics have limitations in terms of scalability, reliability, and power consumption. Therefore, alternatives are being explored to overcome these limitations and enhance the performance of electronic devices.

3. What are some potential alternatives to mesoscopic electronics?

Potential alternatives to mesoscopic electronics include quantum computing, molecular electronics, spintronics, and photonics.

4. How do solid state nanostructures play a role in alternatives to mesoscopic electronics?

Solid state nanostructures, such as nanowires, nanotubes, and quantum dots, are being studied as potential building blocks for alternative electronic devices. These structures exhibit unique properties at the nanoscale that can be harnessed for improved device performance.

5. What are some challenges in implementing alternatives to mesoscopic electronics?

Some challenges in implementing alternatives to mesoscopic electronics include fabricating and integrating these new structures into existing technology, as well as understanding and controlling their properties at the nanoscale. Additionally, the cost and scalability of these alternative technologies are also important considerations.