Height/length of teeth in stator core

In summary, the height/length of teeth in a stator core is a crucial factor in determining the performance of an electric motor. A taller tooth height/length generally results in higher torque and speed, while a shorter tooth height/length may be suitable for lower performance requirements. The tooth shape, along with other design factors, should also be considered when determining the ideal tooth height/length. The height and length of teeth are both important factors to consider in the design of a stator core. Modifications or customization of the tooth height/length can be done, but careful consideration and testing should be done to ensure optimal motor performance.
mibiz1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm planning to build an alternator/generator but I can't seem to information regarding the benefits of the height/length of the teeth in the stator core as indicated by the arrow in the picture below [1]. I know the width of the teeth determine flux density and the gap between the teeth determine wire size and number of wire wounds.

Could someone please tell me the difference between say 1 inch vs 2 inch height/length of the teeth? All I could find from google is patent applications regarding various winding techniques and iron loss from varnishing.

Thanks,
/mib

[URL]http://img191.imageshack.us/i/statorcoreinrunner.jpg/[/URL]

[1] http://img191.imageshack.us/i/statorcoreinrunner.jpg/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello mib,

Welcome to the forum! Building an alternator/generator is a complex and exciting project. The height/length of the teeth in the stator core is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of your device. Let me explain the benefits of different tooth heights in the stator core.

The teeth in the stator core are responsible for creating and shaping the magnetic field that drives the generator. The higher the tooth, the larger the cross-sectional area for the magnetic flux to pass through. This means that a higher tooth can accommodate a larger amount of flux, resulting in a higher output voltage. On the other hand, a shorter tooth may result in a weaker magnetic field and a lower output voltage.

In addition, the tooth height also affects the inductance of the stator core. Inductance is a measure of the ability of a coil to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. A higher tooth height can increase the inductance of the stator core, which can improve the efficiency of the generator.

The length of the teeth also plays a role in the performance of the generator. A longer tooth can accommodate more turns of wire, resulting in a higher number of wire windings. This can increase the output voltage of the generator. However, a longer tooth may also increase the iron losses due to eddy currents, which can decrease the overall efficiency of the generator.

In summary, the height and length of the teeth in the stator core are important factors to consider in designing your alternator/generator. Higher teeth can increase the output voltage and inductance, but may also increase iron losses. It is important to find a balance between these factors to optimize the performance of your device.

I hope this information helps in your project. Good luck with your alternator/generator! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask on the forum.

1. How does the height/length of teeth in a stator core affect the performance of an electric motor?

The height/length of teeth in a stator core plays a crucial role in the performance of an electric motor. It determines the amount of magnetic flux that can be generated by the stator, which in turn affects the torque and speed of the motor. A larger tooth height/length allows for a stronger magnetic field, resulting in higher torque and speed. On the other hand, a smaller tooth height/length may result in a weaker magnetic field and lower motor performance.

2. What is the ideal height/length of teeth in a stator core for optimal motor performance?

The ideal height/length of teeth in a stator core is dependent on various factors such as the size and type of motor, operating conditions, and desired performance. Generally, a taller tooth height/length is preferred for higher torque and speed, while a shorter tooth height/length may be suitable for lower torque and speed requirements. It is important to consider the specific application when determining the ideal tooth height/length.

3. Can the height/length of teeth in a stator core be adjusted or customized?

Yes, the height/length of teeth in a stator core can be adjusted or customized to meet specific motor performance requirements. This can be done by modifying the stator core design or by using different stator core materials. However, it is important to note that altering the tooth height/length may also affect other aspects of motor performance, so careful consideration and testing should be done before making any adjustments.

4. How does the tooth shape affect the height/length of teeth in a stator core?

The tooth shape of a stator core can also impact the height/length of teeth. For example, a rounded tooth shape may allow for a taller tooth height/length, while a rectangular tooth shape may require a shorter tooth height/length. The tooth shape, along with other design factors, should be carefully considered when determining the ideal tooth height/length for a stator core.

5. Is there a difference between the height and length of teeth in a stator core?

Yes, there is a difference between the height and length of teeth in a stator core. The height refers to the vertical distance from the base of the tooth to the tip, while the length refers to the horizontal distance from one side of the tooth to the other. Both the height and length of teeth are important factors in determining the performance of a stator core and should be carefully considered during the design process.