Coordinate system transformation (equatorial, spherical)

In summary: This conversion can be used to map points on the sphere surrounding the antenna. Online formulas are available to perform this conversion, but may not work perfectly in all cases. It is important to understand the variables involved, such as declination and right ascension, which may not be relevant in this specific case. In summary, converting from great circle coordinates to spherical coordinates can be done using the formulas: Theta = 180 degrees - (azimuthal angle + roll angle) and Phi = azimuthal angle.
squalho
Hello,

I have a question related to coordinate transform. If this is not the right section please feel free to move this thread.

My problem is the following: I have a positioning system to move an antenna, that allows me to perform scans according to a great circle coordinate system. Check this link out to get an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/02/Spring/fogelle1.html

(Check "great-circle method", figures 5 and 8(a))

As you can see, the sphere surrounding the antenna being measured is scanned by controlling two angles: one is the azimuthal angle and the other is a roll angle. Therefore this coordinate system is equivalent to an equatorial coordinate system, where the roll angle represents how much every great circle is rotated with respect to the "equator", and the azimuthal angle represents one position on a given great circle. Therefore I think that the roll angle has a meaning of "altitude" and the azimuth angle has a meaning of "hour angle". Fell free to correct me if you think I am wrong.

My problem is to convert these two angles to the classical theta and phi angles of a spherical coordinates system, to map the same points on the sphere surrounding the antenna. If theta (or 90-theta) is the latitude and phi is the longitude, I want to pass from azimuth and roll to theta and phi.

I have found online formulas to convert between the two coordinate systems, but when I plug them in MATLAB they don't work quite right. In particular I am having problem figuring out what declination, right ascension, and all these sort of things are in my case. I think that in the general astronomical problems there are more variables than the ones involved in my case.

Can anybody help? I hope I explained my problem clearly enough, let me know! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
</code>Theta and phi can be used to define spherical coordinates in the following way:Theta is the angle between the z-axis and the radius vector of a point on the sphere. It is also known as the colatitude or polar angle, and is measured from the equator (theta=0 degrees).Phi is the angle between the x-axis and the projection of the radius vector onto the x-y plane. It is also known as the azimuthal angle or longitude, and is measured from the positive x-axis (phi=0 degrees).To convert from great circle coordinates (azimuthal angle and roll angle) to spherical coordinates (theta and phi):Theta = 180 degrees - (azimuthal angle + roll angle)Phi = azimuthal angleFor example, if the azimuthal angle is 30 degrees and the roll angle is 15 degrees, then theta = 180 - (30+15) = 135 degrees, and phi = 30 degrees.

1. What is a coordinate system transformation?

A coordinate system transformation is a mathematical process that converts the coordinates of a point in one coordinate system to the corresponding coordinates in another coordinate system. This is often necessary when working with data or objects that are represented in different coordinate systems, such as equatorial and spherical coordinate systems.

2. What is an equatorial coordinate system?

The equatorial coordinate system is a celestial coordinate system used to locate objects in the sky. It is based on the Earth's equatorial plane and uses two coordinates: right ascension (measured in hours, minutes, and seconds) and declination (measured in degrees, minutes, and seconds).

3. What is a spherical coordinate system?

The spherical coordinate system is a three-dimensional coordinate system used to locate points in space. It uses three coordinates: radius (distance from the origin), inclination (angle from the positive z-axis), and azimuth (angle from the positive x-axis in the x-y plane).

4. How do you convert coordinates from equatorial to spherical?

To convert coordinates from equatorial to spherical, you can use the following formulas:
radius = distance from the origin
inclination = 90 degrees - declination
azimuth = right ascension

5. Why is coordinate system transformation important?

Coordinate system transformation is important because it allows us to work with data or objects that are represented in different coordinate systems. It also allows us to compare and combine data from different sources and make accurate calculations and predictions. Without coordinate system transformation, it would be difficult to accurately locate or analyze objects in space or on Earth.