Best supplemental physics book?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a recommendation for a good supplemental book for a physics course. The person mentions How to Solve Physics Problems by Oman and Oman and the Schaum's 3000 solved problems book as potential options. The other person recommends the Schaum's Outline of Physics for Scientists and Engineers, which has practice problems and exams for all 36 chapters. They also mention that the book may have some minor typos, but overall, it has mostly positive reviews. The conversation ends with clarification on which Schaum's book they were looking at.
Sentience
So I'm taking physics (calc-based for scientists and engineers) for the first time this summer. I would like a recommendation for a good supplemental book that has good explanations and good practice problems.

I remember reading a thread here (that I can no longer find >.<) where someone recommended How to Solve Physics Problems by Oman and Oman. I'm also considering the Schaum's 3000 solved problems book based on its Amazon reviews.

Anyone have experience with those or have another recommendation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I will not take classes without the accompanying schaum's outline or some other book of extra solved problems. Schaum's books are for the most part very good with very clear explanations and discussions on the theory and derivations along with solved problems. I recommend the Schaum's of Physics for scientists and engineers though they're 3000 solved problems book has practice exams for all the 36 chapters with an estimate of the time needed to complete them so you'll get a lot of exam practice out of that one too.

Hmm, you swear by it? It has terrible reviews on amazon, lots of errors I guess.

Sentience said:
Hmm, you swear by it? It has terrible reviews on amazon, lots of errors I guess.

It has mostly 5 stars on the amazon link I'm looking at. Every textbook or outline like Schaum's have typos but they're really quite minor; I enjoy using Schaum's since they're more straight to the point than textbooks and going through the solved problems helps me learn the theory better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the 3000 solved problems.

I do remember the college physics outline got better reviews than the physics for scientists and engineers schaum's though.

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing the best supplemental physics book?

When choosing the best supplemental physics book, it is important to consider the author's credentials and expertise in the field, the level of difficulty and depth of the material, the relevance to your specific course or topic, and the availability of practice problems and resources to supplement your learning.

2. How do I know if a supplemental physics book will be helpful for my learning?

Before purchasing a supplemental physics book, it is helpful to read reviews and see if other students or professionals have found it useful. You can also look for sample chapters or table of contents to get a better idea of the content and style of the book.

3. Is it necessary to use a supplemental physics book if I already have a textbook?

While a textbook is usually the primary source of information for a course, a supplemental physics book can offer additional explanations, examples, and practice problems that can further enhance your understanding of the subject. It is not necessary to use a supplemental book, but it can be beneficial.

4. Are there any reputable publishers or authors known for their supplemental physics books?

There are many reputable publishers and authors who have written supplemental physics books, including Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Oxford University Press. Some well-known authors in the field of physics include Richard Feynman, Stephen Hawking, and Neil deGrasse Tyson.

5. Can I use a supplemental physics book for self-study?

Yes, a supplemental physics book can be a useful tool for self-study. However, it is important to make sure the book covers the topics and level of difficulty that you need for your specific learning goals. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or instructor while using a supplemental book for self-study.