Osama Bin Laden killed by US in Pakistan

• News
  • Thread starter Mech_Engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bin
In summary, Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks, has been killed in an intelligence-led operation in Pakistan. The news comes nearly a decade after the attacks and is a major victory for the US. Obama is expected to make a statement about the news Sunday night.
What "full truth" could there be of any significance beyond his death? If Obama was wrong and OBL popped up alive and well, I don't think there could be a greater embarrassment he would have.

Physics news on Phys.org
What a bunch of garbage. The US spent a ton of money to brutally kill someone who has been powerless for years. Why?

They wanted good press, right? And they want to get re-elected, right?

mayflow said:
What a bunch of garbage. The US spent a ton of money to brutally kill someone who has been powerless for years. Why?

Because his actions destroyed thousands of American lives. That's enough of a reason for me.

mayflow said:

I'm not certain a "powerless" person could hide out in a mansion in Pakistan - near a military facility. As for why - have a little respect for the innocent people killed on September 11, 2001.

mayflow said:

Wrong. And the US did not spend a ton of money just to kill 1 guy. We've been spending that money to fight and dismantle a global terrorist network. It's like saying we spent untold amounts of money and lost hundreds of thousands of lives in WWII just to kill Hitler.

Pengwuino said:
Wrong. And the US did not spend a ton of money just to kill 1 guy. We've been spending that money to fight and dismantle a global terrorist network. It's like saying we spent untold amounts of money and lost hundreds of thousands of lives in WWII just to kill Hitler.

I don't recall us killing Hitler?

I'm happy for this. I was only 1 year old in 9/11 but I did research, and I nearly cried after watching the stupid idiotic terrorists smash into a building like that. What makes it worse is videos of people saying that it was a fluke and that it was a "Hologram" and stuff. But seeing even the stupid people's videos make me even more happy Osama is dead. I usually don't celebrate death EVER, but I am very happy that Al Queda's leader is gone. I will shortly post more of people's ideas on 9/11 that make me mad.

Overall, It makes me sad. Not just because of these terrorists, but of the world. People can be messed up, so much I feel like crying. Why does this have to happen? Why can't we all understand the damage things can do? I'm fed up with this fighting..

Anyway, woo hoo, Osama is dead. There's still thousands more evil people who can't understand what their choices will do to innocent people.

mayflow said:

Way to miss the point.

Ivan Seeking said:
I have no idea how you jumped to that. I was talking about getting Osama.

But it is interesting that where Bush failed after 7 years, Obama got him in 2; without the use of torture.

Does it ever occur to you that Obama built on some of the infrastructure and work that had been put into place by President Bush for eight years? I do not believe for one second that if Obama had been president when 9/11 occurred, that he'd have gotten bin Laden within two years.

They also likely could not have executed this mission without the U.S. presence in Afghanistan. And we don't know yet how much of the intelligence used to get bin Laden could have been the result of the enhanced interrogation techniques that President Obama criticized so much during his campaign.

Yes, Obama deserves credit for continuing the search and for having the guts to give the order on a mission that could have gone very wrong, but I would not discount all the stuff that was done in the prior years of the decade either.

Lazernugget said:
I'm happy for this. I was only 1 year old in 9/11 but I did research, and I nearly cried after watching the stupid idiotic terrorists smash into a building like that. What makes it worse is videos of people saying that it was a fluke and that it was a "Hologram" and stuff. But seeing even the stupid people's videos make me even more happy Osama is dead. I usually don't celebrate death EVER, but I am very happy that Al Queda's leader is gone. I will shortly post more of people's ideas on 9/11 that make me mad.

Overall, It makes me sad. Not just because of these terrorists, but of the world. People can be messed up, so much I feel like crying. Why does this have to happen? Why can't we all understand the damage things can do? I'm fed up with this fighting..

Anyway, woo hoo, Osama is dead. There's still thousands more evil people who can't understand what their choices will do to innocent people.

You're only eleven!? We have some young people here! Wish I had access to modern computers and high-speed Internet back when I was eleven! BTW, I think part of being evil is that you DO understand that your choices hurt others.

Continuing from my other post:

1)Again, It took 10 years to kill this dude

2)This is only going to wound Al Queda temporarily, then, like a wound, Al Queda will heal and strike back at us harder. This war like cycle is stupid, We attack, they attack harder, we attack harder, they attack harder... if we can't solve this using tactics other than death and damage, then we're just going to keep getting blown up...

CAC1001 said:
Yes, Obama deserves credit for continuing the search and for having the guts to give the order on a mission that could have gone very wrong, but I would not discount all the stuff that was done in the prior years of the decade either.
I think you're glossing over the times when Bush said that Osama wasn't a high priority. Of course, now that Osama is toast, the GOP is congratulating themselves for setting up an environment in which Obama couldn't help but succeed.

It's pretty sick. Clinton didn't take out Osama, Bush didn't take him out, and when the Obama administration and the military/intelligence services pull it off, there is a great rush to divert credit away from him. I can't stand to watch the news these days because of all the packaging and spin that is put on every single situation.

Lazernugget said:
Continuing from my other post:

1)Again, It took 10 years to kill this dude

2)This is only going to wound Al Queda temporarily, then, like a wound, Al Queda will heal and strike back at us harder. This war like cycle is stupid, We attack, they attack harder, we attack harder, they attack harder... if we can't solve this using tactics other than death and damage, then we're just going to keep getting blown up...

That is the way war mongers work. I see no modern diff between US and Bin Laden and Hitler anymore. They begin to blend together in a hating and war-monging symbionce. The only diff today is that the US is super-rich and the peoples it kills in the name of freedom are not as rich.

Newai said:
What "full truth" could there be of any significance beyond his death? If Obama was wrong and OBL popped up alive and well, I don't think there could be a greater embarrassment he would have.

Way to read one sentence of my post.

mayflow said:
That is the way war mongers work. I see no modern diff between US and Bin Laden and Hitler anymore. They begin to blend together in a hating and war-monging symbionce. The only diff today is that the US is super-rich and the peoples it kills in the name of freedom are not as rich.
Do you have any idea how wealthy Bin Laden was? Did you actually have some point you were trying to make? What does how wealthy a criminal is have to do with anything?

Please do not post if you don't have anything sensible to say.

mayflow said:

Char. Limit said:
Way to miss the point.

Thank you.

turbo-1 said:
I think you're glossing over the times when Bush said that Osama wasn't a high priority. Of course, now that Osama is toast, the GOP is congratulating themselves for setting up an environment in which Obama couldn't help but succeed.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Bin Laden's trail was cold for years. The infrastructure was there as CAC1001 said, and Obama presided over the mission that finally got him. Obama, apparently, may never have had the opportunity to get him if what Bush authorized was never authorized. Conversely, Obama made a tough decision that could have backfired on him, but instead paid off big time. Maybe a different President would have screwed it up?

It's disgusting that people can't give credit where it's due: to everyone. Are people so scared of their past opinions possibly being wrong that you can't admit to something that even the most hateful partisan politicians have already admitted to?

mayflow said:

Maybe you don't know who Hitler was or what he did? He didn't just star in a bunch of History Channel programs.

Evo said:
Sorry mugs, but you are out of touch with current law. What the Presdient did is quite legal.

But this goes back to another issue discussed in another thread. One person has (allegedly) committed a crime against another country. Is it legal for the president of that country to send a group into a third country to kill this person? That quote governed what you can and cannot do to American citizens: was Osama American? Otherwise, whose law holds?

Anyway, I'm not saying it's a bad thing that Osama has been killed. I do, however, find it very difficult to believe that the US were prepared to capture him (especially since the AP were reporting that this was a 'kill' mission). After all, they sent in circa 90 soldiers, and there was not one US casualty. Seems like it was all a bit too easy, really!

pergradus said:
Way to read one sentence of my post.

I read your whole post. Anything else?

Pengwuino said:
Let's be honest with ourselves, Bin Laden's trail was cold for years.
Neither you nor I know what the intelligence agencies had on him, nor if the "trail was cold". Clinton took some heat for saying that it was unlikely that the Pakistani government had no idea where he was, but it seems that she was right. Somebody on the inside probably gave him up IMO, but it's unlikely that we will ever get details.

Now, will we stop handing out billions yearly to an unstable nuclear power that could fall to tribal in-fighting? That's a tough one. Keep bankrolling a bunch of crooks if they look like they can maintain stability, or roll the dice?

cristo said:
Anyway, I'm not saying it's a bad thing that Osama has been killed. I do, however, find it very difficult to believe that the US were prepared to capture him (especially since the AP were reporting that this was a 'kill' mission). After all, they sent in circa 90 soldiers, and there was not one US casualty. Seems like it was all a bit too easy, really!
I don't think we ever said we wanted to just capture him, he was posted as "Wanted: dead or alive". I doubt he would have allowed himself to be captured, he'd die a martyr (in his mind) first.

cristo said:

Can you source this? 90 soldiers?? Some reports said there were maybe 3 helicopters. Dropping 90 soldiers into Pakistan "without Pakistan knowing" sounds crazy dangerous. "Oh hey, sorry Pakistan, we sent in a platoon of special ops to 'arrest' someone, suck it"

Maybe Pakistan was in on this. Maybe there were no US causalities because they only represented a small portion of the 90 soldiers.

turbo-1 said:
Neither you nor I know what the intelligence agencies had on him, nor if the "trail was cold". Clinton took some heat for saying that it was unlikely that the Pakistani government had no idea where he was, but it seems that she was right. Somebody on the inside probably gave him up IMO, but it's unlikely that we will ever get details.

Unfortunately, very true.

turbo-1 said:
Now, will we stop handing out billions yearly to an unstable nuclear power that could fall to tribal in-fighting? That's a tough one. Keep bankrolling a bunch of crooks if they look like they can maintain stability, or roll the dice?

Thus why I have no interest in being President and having to make decisions like that.

Pengwuino said:
Can you source this? 90 soldiers?? Some reports said there were maybe 3 helicopters. Dropping 90 soldiers into Pakistan "without Pakistan knowing" sounds crazy dangerous. "Oh hey, sorry Pakistan, we sent in a platoon of special ops to 'arrest' someone, suck it"

Maybe Pakistan was in on this. Maybe there were no US causalities because they only represented a small portion of the 90 soldiers.
The Pakistani government is highly sensitive to domestic uprisings. They are complicit in some US operations within their borders, but maintain a facade of deniability because domestic backlash is going to be virulently anti-US. This is not a big secret.

Lazernugget said:

Sometimes, killing is necessary. Some humans speak only the language of violence, so extreme violence against them is the only solution.

turbo-1 said:

There are very little facts on both sides so it is bit unintellectual to take either side and calling each other wrong.

Pengwuino said:

My bad, there were 79 commandos + 1 dog (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/world/asia/osama-bin-laden-dead.html?pagewanted=1&hp)

Evo said:
I don't think we ever said we wanted to just capture him, he was posted as "Wanted: dead or alive". I doubt he would have allowed himself to be captured, he'd die a martyr (in his mind) first.

But in post 111 there is a link to someone in the white house claiming that the US attempted to capture him but he was killed in the firefight. I find it pretty hard to believe, to be honest, that there was any intention to capture him alive.

cristo said:
But this goes back to another issue discussed in another thread. One person has (allegedly) committed a crime against another country. Is it legal for the president of that country to send a group into a third country to kill this person? That quote governed what you can and cannot do to American citizens: was Osama American? Otherwise, whose law holds?
I think it is a grey area, whether assassination (if that's the right word) is technically legal, but IMO that's only because of sensitivities and diplmacy. It doesn't have much to do with ethics/morality: Bin Laden's death was justifiable whether it was a kill mission or a "dead or alive mission". And as I said before and as the above from both you and me implies, the inability of a legal system to deal with someone like Bin Laden makes his death preferable to capture.

cristo said:
But in post 111 there is a link to someone in the white house claiming that the US attempted to capture him but he was killed in the firefight. I find it pretty hard to believe, to be honest, that there was any intention to capture him alive.
Why? I think either seems reasonable. The strength of the force that was sent in doesn't really say anything about the goal. Heck, if killing him is the only goal, a really big bomb would have a higher probability of success (note: sending in troops meant we were also able to acquire intel and ID the body). In either case, why is it so important if it was strictly a "kill mission"?

I suspect the strength of the force was chosen because that's what fit in two helicopters and two helicopters was what fit just inside the grounds of the compound...

...and 79 is an interesting number, isn't it? [edit] Meh - not sure: don't know if the dog counts or not.

Last edited:
cristo said:
I'm sure capturing him was not at the top of the list. He'd be useless to us alive, he'd never give us any information.

[PLAIN]http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/memes-untitled2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
I think it is a grey area, whether assassination (if that's the right word) is technically legal, but IMO that's only because of sensitivities and diplmacy. It doesn't have much to do with ethics/morality: Bin Laden's death was justifiable whether it was a kill mission or a "dead or alive mission". And as I said before and as the above from both you and me implies, the inability of a legal system to deal with someone like Bin Laden makes his death preferable to capture.

But then again, justifiable depends upon where you come from, and which legal system you are used to, so it's all cyclic. There are justice systems in the world where the death penalty is never used.

(Again, I'm not saying I don't support the outcome, just mostly playing devil's advocate, before people yell at me!).

russ_watters said:
Why? I think either seems reasonable. The strength of the force that was sent in doesn't really say anything about the goal. Heck, if killing him is the only goal, a really big bomb would have a higher probability of success (note: sending in troops meant we were also able to acquire intel). In either case, why is it so important if it was strictly a "kill mission"?

I suspect the strength of the force was chosen because that's what fit in two helicopters and two helicopters was what fit just inside the grounds of the compound...

...and 79 is an interesting number, isn't it? [edit] Meh - not sure: don't know if the dog counts or not.

I suspect they sent in troops not only to collect intel, but also to seal the exits and avoid what happened last time when he escaped. You also have confirmation that you've got the right guy that way.

And I'm not sure... what's the significance of the number 79?

Evo said:
I'm sure capturing him was not at the top of the list. He'd be useless to us alive, he'd never give us any information.

You can never be sure about that, though!

cristo said:
That's a good point. Osama has been living in luxury, and may have squealed like a pig if captured alive. We won't ever know, now.

turbo-1 said:

It's pretty sick. Clinton didn't take out Osama, Bush didn't take him out, and when the Obama administration and the military/intelligence services pull it off, there is a great rush to divert credit away from him. I can't stand to watch the news these days because of all the packaging and spin that is put on every single situation.

No one is trying to take credit away from him, they are just pointing out that a lot of credit should probably go to President Bush as well.

You complain about folks trying to divert credit from Obama, but it is equally wrong to act as if Obama did this all by himself, that there was no building on what had been done before.

cristo said:

If captured alive, the negatives would probably have outweighed the positives.