Calculating Power Radiated & Energy in Magnetic Loop

In summary, a loop of height L and initial width X is placed in a magnetic field and connected to a light bulb of resistance R. By applying a force F to the left hand side of the loop, it can be compressed at a constant rate dx/dt = -a. The power radiated by the light bulb is (B^2 L^2 a^2) / R and the total energy emitted is (B^2 L^2 a X) / R. This result may seem counterintuitive, but it is because the EMF is proportional to the velocity and the power goes as the velocity squared, resulting in an overall increase in energy radiated with increasing speed.
EEWannabe

Homework Statement

A Loop of height L and initial width X is placed in a magnetic field and the plane of the loop is perpendicular to the field, the loop is connected to a light bulb of resistance R. By applying a force F to the left hand side of the loop it can be compressed at a constant rate dx/dt = -a.

Calculate the power radiated by the lightbulb.
Calculate the total energy emitted by the lightbulb, does it depend on a? Comment on the answer with reference to the force F.

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/2079/faraday.jpg

Homework Equations

E = - d(flux)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

So since the flux = BA (sin90) = BA = BLx, d(flux)/dt = BLdx/dt = BLa

So E = -BLa. This means the power through the bulb = E^2/R = (B^2 L^2 a^2) / R.

And the overall energy is Power * Time = ((B^2 L^2 a^2) / R) * (X / a) = (B^2 L^2 a X) / R

And comparing this to the energy used by the force.

P = Fv = BIL a, from above the I is given by E/R = BLa/R so P = B^2 L^2 a^2 / R. So it's the same result.

However! I can't come to terms with this result, I don't see how doing it quickly will use more evergy than doing it slowly. I don't see why to the overall energy the speed, a, makes a difference?

Maybe this is trivial, or maybe I've made a mistake with the algebra, but anyone clearing this up would be most appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent work EEWannabe, looks great.

EEWannabe said:
However! I can't come to terms with this result, I don't see how doing it quickly will use more evergy than doing it slowly. I don't see why to the overall energy the speed, a, makes a difference?
Maybe this is trivial, or maybe I've made a mistake with the algebra, but anyone clearing this up would be most appreciated!

You've shown that the EMF is proportional to the velocity. I.e. the faster the flux changes, the more voltage is produced. On the other hand the faster it moves the less time there is to dissipate energy. BUT---the power goes as the velocity squared, while the duration decreases linearly with a; thus, overall, the energy radiated still increases with velocity.

Does that help at all?

Ah I've gotcha, I guess I was getting confused as I wasn't confident in the maths and I carried on thinking about the argument you outlined.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Happy to help; your derivation was really sharp, couldn't have been done better.

I would like to commend you for your attempt at solving this problem and for asking for clarification on any discrepancies you may have encountered.

First of all, your calculations for the power radiated by the lightbulb and the total energy emitted are correct. However, I believe the confusion lies in the interpretation of the results and the relationship between the force F and the speed a.

The power radiated by the lightbulb is dependent on the square of the speed a, meaning that the faster the loop is compressed, the more power is radiated by the lightbulb. This is because the rate of change of flux (d(flux)/dt) is directly proportional to the speed a. This also explains why the overall energy emitted is also dependent on the speed a.

Now, let's consider the force F. The power used by the force is also dependent on the speed a, as you have correctly calculated. However, this does not mean that doing it quickly uses more energy than doing it slowly. The total energy used by the force is the same regardless of the speed a, as you have shown in your calculations. This is because the force F is applied over a shorter period of time when the speed a is higher, but the overall energy used by the force remains the same.

In summary, the speed a affects the power radiated by the lightbulb and the power used by the force, but it does not affect the total energy emitted or used. The overall energy is dependent on the force F and the initial dimensions of the loop (height and width), but not on the speed a.

1. How do I calculate the power radiated by a magnetic loop?

To calculate the power radiated by a magnetic loop, you will need to know the loop's physical dimensions, its current, and its frequency. The formula for power radiated is P = (I2R)/6, where I is the current and R is the radiation resistance of the loop. The radiation resistance can be calculated using the formula R = (2π2f4L2)/c4, where f is the frequency, L is the loop's perimeter, and c is the speed of light.

2. How do I calculate the energy in a magnetic loop?

To calculate the energy in a magnetic loop, you will need to know the loop's inductance and current. The formula for energy is E = (LI2)/2, where L is the inductance and I is the current. The inductance of a magnetic loop can be calculated using the formula L = (μ0N2π2R2)/8, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the loop, and R is the radius of the loop.

3. How does the frequency affect the power radiated and energy in a magnetic loop?

The frequency has a direct impact on the power radiated and energy in a magnetic loop. As the frequency increases, the power radiated also increases. However, the energy in the loop decreases as the frequency increases. This is because at higher frequencies, the loop's radiation resistance also increases, resulting in more power being radiated but less energy stored in the loop.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate power and energy for any size magnetic loop?

Yes, the formulas for calculating power and energy in a magnetic loop can be used for any size loop. However, it is important to note that these formulas assume that the loop is a perfect conductor and is operating in free space. In reality, there may be losses due to imperfections in the loop's construction, proximity to other objects, and other environmental factors.

5. How can I increase the power and energy in a magnetic loop?

There are a few ways to increase the power and energy in a magnetic loop. One way is to increase the loop's physical dimensions, as this will increase its radiation resistance. Another way is to increase the current flowing through the loop, but this must be done within the limits of the loop's capacity. Lastly, using a higher frequency can also increase the power radiated, but as mentioned before, this will decrease the energy stored in the loop. Finding the right balance between these factors will result in the highest power and energy output for a magnetic loop.