Exploring C+D in R^2 with Euclidean Distance

• Thread starter Metric_Space
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euclidean
In summary, if C and D are non-empty sets of R^2 and we have C+D = {y ϵ R^2 | there exists c ϵ C and dϵD s.t c+d = y} then C+D is open.
Metric_Space

Homework Statement

Let X=R^2 and the distance be the usual Euclidean distance. If C and D are non-empty sets of R^2 and we have:

C+D := {y ϵ R^2 | there exists c ϵ C and dϵD s.t c+d = y}

A) What is C+D if the open balls are C= ball((0.5,0.5);2) and D=ball((0.5,2.5);1)

B) Same as A) expect D is now a closed ball

C) same as a) except D={(l,-1)|l ϵ R}

D) Is the following true? If C,D are non-empty subsets of R^2 s.t C is open, then the sum C+D is open.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) It to, C+D is just the union set of all points in C and D s.t. for all c ϵ C and dϵD, c + d = x.

I think this set is open, but not sure how to describe it in more detail. Any ideas?

B) Same description as A but with boundary too?

C) not sure

D) I think this is false since C could be open and D could be closed, and so their sum would not be open.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi metric_space! :smile:

Metric_Space said:

Homework Statement

Let X=R^2 and the distance be the usual Euclidean distance. If C and D are non-empty sets of R^2 and we have:

C+D := {y ϵ R^2 | there exists c ϵ C and dϵD s.t c+d = y}

A) What is C+D if the open balls are C= ball((0.5,0.5);2) and D=ball((0.5,2.5);1)

Let's make the problem a bit easier first by taking D just a point of the ball.
For example, (0.5,2.5) is an element of D, so (0.5,2.5)+C will be a subset of C+D. But what does (0.5,2.5) look like?
Try it for some other elements, for example (1,2.5) will be in D. So what does (1,2.5)+C look like?

In general, the set C+D will be the union of all sets d+C with d in D. Thus

[tex]C+D=\bigcup_{d\in D}(d+C)[/tex]

So once you've figured out how the d+C look like, you'll know what the C+D looks like...

B) Same as A) expect D is now a closed ball

C) same as a) except D={(l,-1)|l ϵ R}

Same remarks as above.

D) Is the following true? If C,D are non-empty subsets of R^2 s.t C is open, then the sum C+D is open.

This is in fact true! Try to figure this out by using my remarks above...

hm..not sure how to proceed

Well, what will (0.5,2.5)+C look like?

Just that one point?

No, it will be more than one point. In fact

[tex](0.5,2.5)+C=\{(0.5,2.5)+c~\vert~c\in C\}[/tex]

try to sketch this...

That's the point (0.5,2.5) plus the circle centered at (0.5,0.5) with radius 2?

No :frown:

A typical element of (0.5,2.5)+C has the form (0.5,2.5)+c with [itex]c\in C[/tex]. Maybe take some elements c in C and sketch (0.5,2.5)+c. Maybe you can see what happens then?

I can't see what happens -- I have the sketch but that's not helping.

Try sketching 10-15 points, you'll see what happens soon enough!

does the set consists of a half circle that's the intersection between C + D?

No. If I told you that (0.5,2.5)+C is an open ball, could you perhaps figure out which one?

no..not off hand

I'm just drawing a circle with a pt...but unable to make progress...I think I need a hint

Think of it as a transformation. You've got some ball C, centered at (0.5,0.5) with a radius of 2. Now, C+(0.5,2.5) is the set of all points in C, in addition with the point (0.5,2.5). So, where in R^2 are these points now?

1. What is C+D in R^2?

C+D in R^2 refers to the Cartesian coordinate system in two-dimensional space. This system uses a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis to plot points and represent mathematical equations or functions.

2. What does it mean to explore C+D in R^2?

Exploring C+D in R^2 involves analyzing and visualizing data or equations in two-dimensional space using the Cartesian coordinate system. This allows for a better understanding of the relationships and patterns within the data or equations.

3. What is Euclidean Distance?

Euclidean Distance is a measurement of the straight-line distance between two points in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and is commonly used in geometry and data analysis.

4. How is Euclidean Distance used in Exploring C+D in R^2?

In Exploring C+D in R^2, Euclidean Distance is used to measure the distance between points on a graph. This can help identify patterns or clusters within the data. It can also be used to determine the closest point to a given point or to calculate the length of a line segment.

5. What are some practical applications of Exploring C+D in R^2 with Euclidean Distance?

Some practical applications of Exploring C+D in R^2 with Euclidean Distance include data analysis, image processing, and machine learning. It can also be used in navigation systems, optimization problems, and various scientific and engineering fields.