Polar or Nonpolar: CO3(2-) Carbonate Ion Help

• Thread starter needhelpperson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, The CO3(2-) carbonate ion is nonpolar due to its symmetrical planar structure and the delocalization of the double bond through its three resonance contributors.
needhelpperson
Is the CO3(2-) carbonate ion polar or nonpolar? I know its a triagonal planar but it also has the double bond. please help.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The double bond is delocalized through its three resonance contributors, so I presume the molecule is nonpolar; the charge central is identical with the weight central (I don't know how to say these in English).

If there is an error, I'll correct though.

I believe you are correct. All three bonds are actually of order 1.3333, rather than one bond being of order 2 and the others of order 1. This makes it a symetrical planar molecule, meaning it's nonpolar.

1. Is CO3(2-) a polar or nonpolar molecule?

CO3(2-) is a polar molecule. This is due to the unequal distribution of charge caused by the difference in electronegativity between the carbon and oxygen atoms.

2. What is the shape of CO3(2-) molecule?

The shape of CO3(2-) is trigonal planar. This means that the three oxygen atoms are arranged in a flat triangle around the central carbon atom.

3. What are the types of bonds present in CO3(2-)?

CO3(2-) has both covalent and ionic bonds. The carbon-oxygen bonds are covalent, while the carbon-oxygen double bonds are partially ionic.

4. How does the polarity of CO3(2-) affect its properties?

The polarity of CO3(2-) affects its properties in several ways. It makes the molecule water-soluble, reactive with other polar molecules, and able to form hydrogen bonds.

5. Can CO3(2-) form hydrogen bonds?

Yes, CO3(2-) can form hydrogen bonds with other polar molecules due to its polarity and the presence of lone pairs on the oxygen atoms.