Find initial velocity of baseball given these info

In summary, in order to calculate the speed at which a baseball left the bat, a series of equations were used to determine the total distance and vertical displacement of the ball. The grandstand's upward slope and the ball's angle of projection were taken into account. One equation was derived to find the initial velocity, but the correct answer was not obtained until it was realized that the acceleration due to gravity needed to be converted from meters per second squared to feet per second squared. The final answer was determined to be 115 feet per second.
Libohove90

Homework Statement

In a baseball game, a batter hits the ball at a height of 4.60 ft above the ground so that its angle of projection is 52.0º to the horizontal. The ball lands on the grandstand, 39.0 ft up from the bottom. The grandstand seats slope upward at 28.0º with the bottom seats 358 ft from the home plate. Calculate the speed at which the ball left the bat (ignore air resistance).

Homework Equations

(1) y - y[itex]_{}0[/itex] = v[itex]_{}0y[/itex]t - 0.5gt^2

(2) x = v[itex]_{}0x[/itex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

Since x = v[itex]_{}0x[/itex]t, we can rewrite the equation as x = v[itex]_{}0[/itex]cos[itex]\phi[/itex]t

Solve for t, we get t = x / v[itex]_{}0[/itex]cos[itex]\phi[/itex]

v[itex]_{}0y[/itex] = v[itex]_{}0[/itex]sin[itex]\phi[/itex]

Plug these variables to equation 1 and with some algebraic manipulations, you get:
y - y[itex]_{}0[/itex] = (tan [itex]\phi[/itex])x - 0.5 g( x / v[itex]_{}0[/itex]cos[itex]\phi[/itex])^2
Now I have to solve for v[itex]_{}0[/itex].

I derive this equation: v[itex]_{}0[/itex] = x[itex]\sqrt{}g / -2(cos\phi)^2(y - y_{}0 - xtan\phi[/itex])

To save you guys from more work, the given variables are y - y[itex]_{}0[/itex] = 13.7 ft
And the total distance is x = 392 ft

When I plug these variables in...I get something other than 115 ft/s which is the correct answer.

I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused as to how you got the total distance to be 392ft and y-y0 to be 13.7ft.

first off, if the ball starts at y0=4.60ft and ends at y=39ft, y-y0 is most definitely not 13.7 ft, it's 34.4ft, isn't it?

Also, I got a total distance of x=431.3 ft, think about it, the slope of the grandstand is <45 degrees, so it would have to be >(358ft+39ft), which already gives you 397ft...

I think the trick to the problem is to take total x displacement and y-y0 from simple calculations (have to use some basic trig to get x) and then plug them into your equations to find v0. You seem to have complicated it a bit...

soothsayer said:
I'm confused as to how you got the total distance to be 392ft and y-y0 to be 13.7ft.

first off, if the ball starts at y0=4.60ft and ends at y=39ft, y-y0 is most definitely not 13.7 ft, it's 34.4ft, isn't it?

Also, I got a total distance of x=431.3 ft, think about it, the slope of the grandstand is <45 degrees, so it would have to be >(358ft+39ft), which already gives you 397ft...

I think the trick to the problem is to take total x displacement and y-y0 from simple calculations (have to use some basic trig to get x) and then plug them into your equations to find v0. You seem to have complicated it a bit...

Sorry for the confusion. Simply put, the grandstand makes 28º slope upwards with the ground. The ball lands at 39 ft from the base of the grandstand, not from the ground. The 39 ft is the hypotenuse. So in order to find y, I have to do y = 39 sin 28º = 18.3 ft. Thus y - y[itex]_{}0[/itex] = 18.3 - 4.6 = 13.7 ft. This tells me it landed 13.7 ft above the ground due to the grandstand's upward slope.

The base of the grandstand is 358 ft from the home plate. Thus to find the total distance it traveled, I have to do x = 358 + 39 cos 28º = 392 ft. So [itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 392 ft and [itex]\Delta[/itex]y = 13.7 ft. I showed my mathematical derivations and solved for v[itex]_{}0[/itex]. But when I plugged them in, I did not get 115 ft/s.

Thanks for giving the time to help me...I apologize if I made it confusing.

Ohh, I see now, I assumed the 39ft was the vertical distance, not the hypotenuse, not sure why I did that, thanks for clarification. Gonna take another stab at this...

It's a great problem for those who are studying motion in two and three dimensions :)

that's strange, I used your equation and values (I independently derived the same equation as you) and got the correct answer of 115ft/s.

The one thing that almost tripped me up: you're working in feet, did you remember to use the correct value of g? It's not 9.8 m/s^2, you have to convert to ft/s^2

soothsayer said:
that's strange, I used your equation and values (I independently derived the same equation as you) and got the correct answer of 115ft/s.

The one thing that almost tripped me up: you're working in feet, did you remember to use the correct value of g? It's not 9.8 m/s^2, you have to convert to ft/s^2

WOW...I cannot believe I forgot to change that. I kept everything in feet...but forgot to change g. Geez, thanks a lot :). I knew my math couldn't have been wrong. :)

Yeah, like I said, that's probably the place most people would pass over. I just barely caught myself as well :P

1. What is the formula for finding the initial velocity of a baseball?

The formula for finding the initial velocity of a baseball is v = (d - 0.5at^2) / t, where v is the initial velocity, d is the distance traveled, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What information is needed to calculate the initial velocity of a baseball?

To calculate the initial velocity of a baseball, you will need to know the distance traveled by the ball, the time it took to travel that distance, and the acceleration of the ball (usually provided as the force of gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2).

3. How do you measure the distance traveled by a baseball?

The distance traveled by a baseball can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler, by using a radar gun, or by using a high-speed camera and analyzing the footage.

4. How do you calculate the time it takes for a baseball to travel a certain distance?

The time it takes for a baseball to travel a certain distance can be calculated by using the formula t = √(2d/a), where t is the time, d is the distance, and a is the acceleration (in this case, the acceleration due to gravity).

5. Can the initial velocity of a baseball be affected by external factors?

Yes, the initial velocity of a baseball can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, wind, and the force applied by the player when throwing the ball. These factors can alter the acceleration and time taken for the ball to travel, ultimately affecting the initial velocity.