Multimeter leads as stimulators?

• Thread starter ttmike42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multimeter
In summary, using a multimeter lead set on the stimulator pen is possible, but would require some special care.
ttmike42
I have a strange biomedical engineering question...

So I have a Grass square pulse stimulator (similar to the link here http://www.grasstechnologies.com/products/stimulators/stims48.html) which will be run through an isolation unit (the SIU5 http://www.grasstechnologies.com/products/stimulators/stimsiu5psiu6.html).

Now I'm using this voltage stimulator for an external nerve stimulation procedure. We begin the procedure by using this setup to deliver square wave pulses at about 50-70 volts to determine the exact location of the peroneal nerve (runs down the leg just behind the outside of the knee) before we plug microelectrodes into the nerve itself.

The problem is that I cannot find an electrode that seems to be the right size/shape to use for this external stimulation procedure. The ideal shape is that of a multimeter lead set (the stimulator is applied just over the nerve and the other pole is run through a sticky electrode attached at the ankle). So my question is: can I use a plain old multimeter lead set for the stimulator pen attached to my square wave generator and isolation unit? Basically, can we run the lead backwards without any issues?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ttmike42 said:
I have a strange biomedical engineering question...

So I have a Grass square pulse stimulator (similar to the link here http://www.grasstechnologies.com/products/stimulators/stims48.html) which will be run through an isolation unit (the SIU5 http://www.grasstechnologies.com/products/stimulators/stimsiu5psiu6.html).

Now I'm using this voltage stimulator for an external nerve stimulation procedure. We begin the procedure by using this setup to deliver square wave pulses at about 50-70 volts to determine the exact location of the peroneal nerve (runs down the leg just behind the outside of the knee) before we plug microelectrodes into the nerve itself.

The problem is that I cannot find an electrode that seems to be the right size/shape to use for this external stimulation procedure. The ideal shape is that of a multimeter lead set (the stimulator is applied just over the nerve and the other pole is run through a sticky electrode attached at the ankle). So my question is: can I use a plain old multimeter lead set for the stimulator pen attached to my square wave generator and isolation unit? Basically, can we run the lead backwards without any issues?

Any help is appreciated!

I'd be inclined to call the Grass technical support folks to ask this question. They really are the best source for this kind of information.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of using multimeter leads as stimulators?

Multimeter leads can be used as stimulators in scientific experiments to generate electrical signals, which can be used to stimulate nerves or muscles in living organisms. This can help researchers study the effects of electrical stimulation on different biological processes.

2. How do multimeter leads work as stimulators?

Multimeter leads work as stimulators by delivering electrical signals to the electrodes attached to the living organism. These signals can be adjusted in terms of frequency, intensity, and duration to study their effects on the organism.

3. What are the benefits of using multimeter leads as stimulators?

One of the main benefits of using multimeter leads as stimulators is their versatility. They can be used in a variety of experiments and can be easily adjusted to deliver different types of electrical signals. Additionally, they are cost-effective and readily available in scientific laboratories.

4. Are there any risks associated with using multimeter leads as stimulators?

While using multimeter leads as stimulators, it is important to ensure that the electrical signals being delivered are within safe levels for the living organism. Excessive or prolonged stimulation can cause harm to the organism. It is also crucial to properly sterilize the leads to prevent infections.

5. Can multimeter leads be used as stimulators for human subjects?

While multimeter leads can be used as stimulators for human subjects, it is not recommended unless done under the supervision of a trained professional. Improper use of electrical stimulation can cause harm to the human body. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and guidelines when using multimeter leads as stimulators for human subjects.