1st year problem. Rolling Motion.

In summary: The angular acceleration of the center of mass is inversely proportional to the radius of the object.
assman
I am haveing trouble solving a problem that should be fiarly easy. I believe that i have all the components of the question togethor but i can't solve it.

1. If you have a cylinder and a sphere roll down a 3m long board at angle theta, and the time for the cylnder to reach the bottem is 2.4s slower then the sphere. WHat is theta?

THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
are you sure that that is the question? if they start out at the same height they should allways reach the bottem together i think...

Ya that's it. and its a hollow thin walled cylinder.

What have you done so far; in particular:
What is the physical reason for the two objects not arriving at the same time at the end of the slope?

i have no clue for hte arrival time. its a question out of a textbbook. I tried relating the t1 = t2 in the v = v0 + at with t2 = t1 + 2.4 and it never works.

I'm stumped.

Again:
Have you no clue whatsoever why the ball arrives first?

The question from the text is very straight forward. One shpere one hollow cylinder roll down an incline at angle theta. THe incline is 3m long and the sphere gets to the bottem 2.4s faster. What is theta.

The answer sould not be that they land at the same time because of their differing moments of inertia. RIght?

That's true, it's because of their different moments of inertia that they don't arrive at the same time:

Hence:
You need to find out how the moment of inertia enters your equations, right?

1.Question:
If you are to calculate the torque of external forces about the center of mass, what external force provides the net torque?

Set up Newton's 2.law for the object, plus the moment-of-momentum equation with respect to the center of mass (the torque equation, that is).

2. The object ROLLS:
What relation does this give between the acceleration of the center of mass and the angular acceleration?

1. What is the "1st year problem" in rolling motion?

The "1st year problem" in rolling motion refers to the common misconception that objects in rolling motion have a constant velocity. In reality, the velocity of a rolling object is constantly changing due to the rotation and translation of the object.

2. How is rolling motion different from sliding motion?

Rolling motion is different from sliding motion in that it involves both rotation and translation of an object. In sliding motion, the object only moves in a straight line without any rotational component.

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in rolling motion?

In rolling motion, the angular velocity and linear velocity are directly related. The linear velocity of a point on the rolling object is equal to the product of its angular velocity and the distance from the center of rotation.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its rolling motion?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its rolling motion. Objects with a larger radius will have a greater linear velocity and objects with a smaller radius will have a smaller linear velocity. Additionally, the distribution of mass in an object can also impact its rolling motion.

5. What is the role of friction in rolling motion?

Friction plays a crucial role in rolling motion. It is responsible for providing the necessary torque to keep the object rolling and to overcome any resistance or obstacles in its path. Without friction, an object in rolling motion would eventually come to a stop.