Tesla coils / Toroidal inductor flux

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic flux through a toroid and how it induces a voltage in its coils. The time derivative of magnetic flux through a loop is proportional to the induced voltage, but in the case of a toroid with parallel coils, there is no flux through the coils. However, it is suggested that there is still an induced voltage. The efficiency and effectiveness of a toroid compared to a solenoid with an equal number of turns is also questioned. The discussion also touches on the concept of a toroidal transformer and the role of a changing magnetic field and the Lorentz force in inducing a voltage.
elegysix
I've been reading up on tesla's wireless power transmission lately, and I've been wondering how magnetic flux through the center of a toroid induces a voltage in its coils. From what I understand, the time derivative of magnetic flux through a loop is proportional to the induced voltage, however; in this case, the coils will be parallel to a field passing through the center of the toroid - meaning no flux through any of the coils.

But what I've read about these toroid inductors suggests that there is an induced voltage. Could someone explain this?

Also, how does the induced voltage compare to that of a solenoid with an equal number of turns? i.e. is the toroid more efficient / effective?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about a toroidal transformer? Well the changing magnetic field will create an E field that is in the direction of the current. What is creating your B field? And what direction is it.

here's a picture of what I mean.
I don't mean to have two sets of coils as in a transformer, but a single set of coils around the loop.
The B field could be from whatever... let's just suppose I'm moving a magnet around, outside the loop.
4sfp68.jpg

If your moving the magnet, the free electrons in the coil will experience a Lorentz force.

Is there no simple relation like with a solenoid, where emf=N*d(Phi)/dt and Phi is the magnetic flux through the toroid?

you can calculate it with Faraday's law but i was just giving you a physical picture. when you move the magnet they move because of the Lorentz force not because of an induced E field.

1. What is a Tesla coil?

A Tesla coil is an electrical resonant transformer circuit invented by Nikola Tesla in the late 19th century. It is used to produce high-voltage, low-current, high-frequency alternating-current electricity.

2. How does a Tesla coil work?

A Tesla coil works through the principles of electromagnetic induction and resonance. It consists of two main parts: a primary coil of wire connected to a power source and a secondary coil of wire that is not connected to any power source. The primary coil produces a magnetic field that induces a high voltage in the secondary coil, creating a powerful electrical discharge between the two coils.

3. What is the purpose of a Tesla coil?

The primary purpose of a Tesla coil is to produce high-voltage, low-current electricity for various applications such as wireless power transmission, lighting, and scientific experiments. It is also used for entertainment purposes, such as creating impressive electrical discharges and producing music.

4. What is the difference between a Tesla coil and a toroidal inductor flux?

A Tesla coil is a type of toroidal inductor flux, which is a type of transformer that uses a toroidal (doughnut-shaped) core. However, Tesla coils are specifically designed to produce high-voltage, low-current electricity, while other types of toroidal inductors may have different purposes and functions.

5. Are Tesla coils dangerous?

Yes, Tesla coils can be dangerous if not handled properly. They produce high-voltage, high-frequency electricity which can cause electric shock and burns. It is important to always follow safety precautions and never touch a Tesla coil while it is in operation.