Lagrangian on a saddle advice?

• Thread starter teeeeee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the speaker is trying to obtain a Lagrangian for a rotating saddle-shaped surface using a particle model. They are seeking advice on how to incorporate the rotation into their kinetic and potential terms. The suggested solution involves writing the ordinary kinetic term and implementing a constraint using a Lagrange multiplier. The constraint will involve the rotation frequency and the coordinates of the particle on the surface.
teeeeee
Hi,

I am trying to obtain a Lagrangian for a particle moving on the surface of a saddle
z = x^2 - y^2

I have an added complication that the saddle is rotating with some angular frequency, w, and not sure how to incorporate this rotation into my kinetic and potential terms.

This is the kind of thing I am trying to model:
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scidemos/OscillationsWaves/SaddleShape/SaddleShape.html
But thought best to assume a particle for now, so don't have to worry about moment of inertia.

Does anyone have any advice on where to begin?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The most straightforward way I can think of for such a system is to write down the ordinary kinetic term in R^3, with zero potential term, and then implementing "the particle stays attached to the saddle" as a constraint (i.e., with a Lagrange multiplier). The constraint will look something like

[tex]\lambda(t) (z - \tilde x^2 + \tilde y^2)[/tex]

where

[tex]\begin{align*} \tilde x &= \cos (\omega t) \; x - \sin (\omega t) \; y \\ \tilde y &= -\sin (\omega t) \; x + \cos (\omega t) \; y \end{align*}[/tex]

1. What is a Lagrangian on a saddle?

A Lagrangian on a saddle refers to a mathematical concept used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system with multiple degrees of freedom. It is a function that combines the kinetic and potential energies of a system and is used to calculate the equations of motion for the system.

2. How is a Lagrangian on a saddle used in scientific research?

Lagrangian on a saddle is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in studying the dynamics of particles and systems with multiple degrees of freedom, such as molecules, atoms, and mechanical systems.

3. What is the significance of the saddle point in the Lagrangian?

The saddle point in the Lagrangian is a point where the function reaches a minimum or maximum value. It is significant because it represents a point of equilibrium or stability in the system, and the equations of motion can be derived from this point.

4. Can the Lagrangian on a saddle be used in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the Lagrangian on a saddle can also be used in quantum mechanics. In this case, it is known as the path integral formulation, where the Lagrangian is used to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one state to another in a given time interval.

5. What are some applications of the Lagrangian on a saddle in real-world problems?

The Lagrangian on a saddle has various applications in real-world problems, including predicting the motion of celestial bodies, analyzing the stability of structures, and designing control systems for mechanical systems. It is also used in optimizing processes in economics and finance, such as portfolio management and risk analysis.