Find the charge of 2 point charges, given Uelec and total charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the charge of two point charges that are 1.5 cm apart and have an electric potential energy of -190 micro J. The total charge of the system is 26 nC and the equation Uelec = K*q1*q2/d is used to find the charge of each point charge. After simplifying the equation, a quadratic equation is obtained and the two solutions are found to be 35*10^-9C and -9*10^-9C. However, these are incorrect and after consulting with a TA, it is determined that the correct equations are q1 = (q + sqrt(q^2 - 4*U*d/K))/2 *10^-9 and
kitters

Homework Statement

Consider two point charges a distance 1.5 cm apart. These charges have an electric potential energy of -190 micro J. The total charge of the system (the sum of the two charges) is 26 nC. What is the charge of each point charge?

Homework Equations

Uelec = K*q1*q2/d (d = distance b/w the two charges, q1 and q2)
q1+q2 = qtot = 26*10^-9C

The Attempt at a Solution

From the above equation, q1=qtot-q2.
Plugging this into the electric potential energy equation gives Uelec = K*(qtot-q2)*q2/d.
Simplifying gives the quadratic equation 0 = -q2^2+qtot*q2-U*d/K.
q2 = (-qtot +- sqrt(qtot^2-4*U*d/K)/)-2
When I solve this, I get the two answers 35*10^-9C and -9*10^-9C, which plug back into the Uelec equation correctly. However, they are incorrect.

I talked to my TA, who has the general masteringphysics answers, and he told me this:
q1 = (q + sqrt(q^2 - 4*U*d/K))/2 *10^-9 and q2 = (q - sqrt(q^2 - 4*U*d/K))/2 *10^-9. When I ignore the 10^-9 on the end and plug in 26*10^-9 for q, I get the same answers as I got on my own. When I plug in 26 for q and add the *10^-9 on the end, I get 26nC for one charge and zero for the other. That doesn't really make sense to me so I'm not sure what's going on there, or maybe I'm plugging the wrong values into the general solution equation. I have been very careful with plugging in the correct micro/nano/etc. numbers, and meters instead of cm, and still have the wrong answers. I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks!

Edit: Actually I just got this correct, I entered my answers backwards before and put q1 where masteringphysics wanted q2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am glad you got it correct which means you no longer need our help.

What is the equation for finding the charge of 2 point charges?

The equation for finding the charge of 2 point charges is Q = Uelec / V, where Q is the charge, Uelec is the potential energy, and V is the potential difference.

What is Uelec and how is it related to charge?

Uelec, also known as potential energy, is the energy associated with the position of a charged object in an electric field. It is related to charge through the equation Uelec = Q * V, where Q is the charge and V is the potential difference.

How do you calculate the total charge given Uelec?

To calculate the total charge given Uelec, you can use the equation Q = Uelec / V, where Q is the charge and V is the potential difference. Simply rearrange the equation to solve for Q.

Can the charge of 2 point charges be negative?

Yes, the charge of 2 point charges can be negative. The charge of an object is considered negative when it has an excess of electrons, which results in a net negative charge.

What is the unit of measurement for charge?

The unit of measurement for charge is the Coulomb (C). This unit is named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb and is defined as the amount of charge transported by a current of 1 ampere in 1 second.