Conditional PDF with multiple random variables

In summary: I haven't seen anything like that in my course, but I will definitely check to see if it's covered!In summary, you need to find the joint PDF of f(d,s) and f(s) in terms of f(d,s).
SIE_tp

Homework Statement

D = (L + E) / S
Where L, E, and S are mutually independent random variables that are each normally distributed.

I need to find (symbolically), the conditional PDF f(d|s).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to do with so many variables... I'm guessing that I can treat "s" as a constant since it's "given" for the conditional PDF. I also know that adding L + E will result in a normally distributed random variable. So D is also a random variable, right?

I tried to use Bayes' Rule and also the definition of conditional probability - didn't help.

I would be willing to bet that I need to integrate something...

THANK YOU for any guidance you can provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

You seem to be making a generally confused impression, e.g.

I'm guessing that I can treat "s" as a constant since it's "given" for the conditional PDF
You shouldn't guess, of course

I also know that adding L + E will result in a normally distributed random variable.
Why? Is anything at all given about L and E? What if they were both 0, then the sum is 0 and that's hardly a normal distribution.

So D is also a random variable, right?
I don't know how this follows from the previous, but it is true, but it should be more obvious

Of course, I don't mean to come across as belittling: my point is to point out why I consider you to be generally confused and I want to help. When I'm generally confused, I find it always helps to go back to the definitions. For example, go back to the definition of a random variable: verify and understand why D indeed is a random variable.
Then look up the definition of something like f(d|s). Most probably your book will have defined it as
[tex]f(d|s) = \frac{f(d,s)}{f(s)}[/tex]
so by definition we need f(d,s) and f(s) [or you could try to use something like Bayes' rule, as you did, but that also uses things of the form f(x|y) so you can guess that that won't simplify matters]

Now the question has come to: how do I get f(d,s) and f(s). Your integration radar is indeed correct: it is the clue to understanding that we only need to get f(d,s). Is it obvious how f(s) follows from f(d,s)?

Now the problem has been reduced to "what is the joint probability distribution of D and S?".

You most probably saw a method to get a probability distribution of functions of random variables. If this doesn't ring a bell, reread your course and give it some thought :)

I'll be here if you have more questions.

I appreciate your attempt to help, but I did indeed find your comments a bit condescending. You seemed to be aware of your tone, but I wanted to confirm.

I know the definition of conditional probability, of course, AND attempted to apply it - mentioned in my original post.

If this problem had two random variables, I would be good to go. I am confused because there are FOUR variables, D being dependent upon L, E, and S (recall - L, E, S given as having a normal distribution).

To answer your question - what I meant was that if I add f(l) and f(e) as normally distributed RVs, I will get another normally distributed RV. Sorry for being unclear.

If I use the standard definition of conditional probability for PDFs, then yes, I need to find the joint PDF of f(d,s). I don't know how to do that from D = (L + E)/S. I already have f(s) - normally distributed RV, so I do not need to derive it by integrating f(d,s) over d.

I welcome any other advice you have.

I already have f(s) - normally distributed RV, so I do not need to derive it by integrating f(d,s) over d.
Good point, I erred there.

Also, I need to apologize for my line: "Why? Is anything at all given about L and E? What if they were both 0, then the sum is 0 and that's hardly a normal distribution."
I had overlooked you stating "Where L, E, and S are mutually independent random variables that are each normally distributed."!

Anyway, back to the problem:

If this problem had two random variables, I would be good to go. I am confused because there are FOUR variables, D being dependent upon L, E, and S.
Have you seen something of the following in your course: given two random variables X & Y with density f(X,Y), then if g and h are functions such that g(X,Y) and h(X,Y) are again random variables, we can express the joint probability distribution of g(X,Y) and h(X,Y) in terms of f (the formula uses the Jacobian)?
If this sounds very unfamiliar, then probably a less general approach will suffice, but I wanted to check this first.

Your "guess" is correct, and is easy to justify, depending on how you define conditional densities. Take the case of a trivariate density f(x,y,z). Suppose we *define* the conditional density f(x,y|z) so that f(x,y|z) dx dy =lim_{h-->0} Pr{x<X<x+dx,y<Y<y+dy|
z<Z<z+h}. Then, indeed, we have that for h going to zero we have that f(x,y|z) = C*f(x,y,z), where C depends only on z (is a constant as far as x and y are concerned). Basically, C is a normalization constant that ensures the x,y integral of the conditional
PDF is 1. Of course, C = 1/f_Z(z), where f_Z is the marginal density of Z.

RGV

Last edited:

1. What is a conditional PDF with multiple random variables?

A conditional probability density function (PDF) with multiple random variables is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a certain outcome occurring, given the values of multiple random variables. It represents the relationship between two or more random variables and how they affect each other's probability distributions.

2. How is a conditional PDF with multiple random variables different from a regular conditional PDF?

A conditional PDF with multiple random variables takes into account the values of more than one random variable, whereas a regular conditional PDF only considers the values of one random variable. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between multiple variables and their impact on each other's probabilities.

3. How do you calculate a conditional PDF with multiple random variables?

The calculation of a conditional PDF with multiple random variables involves using the joint PDF of the variables and applying Bayes' theorem. This involves determining the probability of the events occurring together (joint probability) and then dividing it by the probability of one of the events occurring (marginal probability). This process can be repeated for each combination of variables to determine the full conditional PDF.

4. What are the applications of a conditional PDF with multiple random variables?

A conditional PDF with multiple random variables has various applications in fields such as statistics, machine learning, and data analysis. It can be used to model complex relationships between variables and make predictions based on their joint probabilities. It is also useful in understanding the effects of one variable on another and identifying any underlying patterns or dependencies.

5. Can a conditional PDF with multiple random variables be used in real-world scenarios?

Yes, a conditional PDF with multiple random variables can be used in real-world scenarios. For example, it can be used in financial analysis to model and predict stock prices based on various economic indicators. It can also be used in genetics to study the relationship between multiple genes and their effect on a particular trait. Its applications are vast and can be applied in various industries and fields.