How can we solve for (x+y)^4 = x^4+y^4 without using x=-y as a solution?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (x+y)^4=x^4+y^4 and the possibilities for x and y in order for it to be true. The conversation also explores a similar equation, (x+y)^2=x^2+y^2, and its potential solution of x=-y. However, it is determined that the only solution is x=y=0. The conversation also briefly mentions the equation (x+y)^4=x^4+4x^3y+6x^2y^2+4xy^3+y^4 and its possible solutions.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[tex](x+y)^4=x^4+y^4[/tex]

We know this is true if x and/or y = 0, but what other possibilities are there?

I solved for (x+y)^2=x^2+y^2, which has x=-y as a possibility.

The solution isn't necessary, a couple tips should lead me in the right direction.

I broke it down in several ways, but a hint for something to look for would be great. I happen to always be stuck with something along the line like...

STUFF+x^2y^2

I can get the stuff area to equal to zero, but because the are both odd or even numbers that are equal I am always stuff with the odd one at the end.

I lost my paper that shows what STUFF is (stupid I know), but I'll work out a second time and maybe then I'll find a solution.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Expand the LHS, and cancel off the common terms with the RHS. You have 3 remaining terms =0. Factoring out xy (stipulating that they be not zero) from these gives you a quadratic, which has no real solutions, and this, you'll figure when you get to it...

I solved for (x+y)^2=x^2+y^2, which has x=-y as a possibility.

Are u sure?
Substitute x=-y on the LHS and then in the RHS .. are they equal?
Simple analysis ,
(x+y)^2 = x^2+2xy+y^2
if (x+y)^2=x^2+y^2
implies
x^2+2xy+y^2 = x^2+y^2
implies
2xy = 0
implies
x or y or both = 0

A similar analysis has been outlined by Gokul in his last post for the power 4 case.

-- AI

(x+y)4= x4+ 4x3y+6x2y2+4xy3+ y4.

Setting that equal to x4+ y4, we can cancel the x4 and y4 terms on both sides leaving

4x3y+ 6x2y2+ 4xy3= 0 or
2xy(2x2+ 3xy+ 2y2)= 0

Clearly x= y= 0 works. It should be evident that 2x2+ 3xy+ 2y2= 0 has no real solutions so x= y= 0 is again the only solution.

Nevermind about x=-y. I was looking at the wrong solution.

Last edited:

1. When does (x+y)^4 = 0?

The equation (x+y)^4 = 0 has no real solutions. This is because the fourth power of any real number can never equal zero. However, there are complex solutions to this equation.

2. When does (x+y)^4 = 1?

The equation (x+y)^4 = 1 has infinitely many solutions. Some possible solutions include x = 1 and y = 0, x = 0 and y = 1, or x = 0.5 and y = 0.5. In general, any values of x and y that satisfy the equation x^4 + 4x^3y + 6x^2y^2 + 4xy^3 + y^4 = 1 will also satisfy the equation (x+y)^4 = 1.

3. When does (x+y)^4 = -1?

This equation has no real solutions. Similar to the first question, the fourth power of any real number can never equal -1. However, there are complex solutions to this equation.

4. When does (x+y)^4 = 16?

There are infinitely many solutions to this equation. Some possible solutions include x = 2 and y = 0, x = 0 and y = 2, or x = 1 and y = 3. In general, any values of x and y that satisfy the equation x^4 + 4x^3y + 6x^2y^2 + 4xy^3 + y^4 = 16 will also satisfy the equation (x+y)^4 = 16.

5. When does (x+y)^4 = -16?

This equation has no real solutions. Similar to the third question, the fourth power of any real number can never equal -16. However, there are complex solutions to this equation.