Pull-back of vectors at a SINGLE point

In summary, the push-forward and pull-back of vectors and covectors at a single point are defined using the smooth maps F:M\rightarrow N and their associated push-forward and pull-back operations. These operations are only defined if F is a local diffeomorphism and the inverse function theorem is used to ensure this condition. This allows for the introduction of vector fields and the extension of the push-forward and pull-back operations to work on them, as long as F is a local diffeomorphism between M and N.
ivl
Dear all,

xxxxxxPreliminaryxxxxxxx
the push-forward of vectors is FIRST defined at a single point, as

[itex](F_{*}v)_{F(x)}(f)=v_{x}(f\circ F)[/itex]

where

1. [itex]F_{*}[/itex] is the push-forward associated with the smooth map [itex]F:M\rightarrow N[/itex]
2. [itex]v_{x}[/itex] is a vector at the point [itex]x\in M[/itex] (a member of the tangent space of [itex]M[/itex] at [itex]x[/itex])
3. [itex]f[/itex] is a smooth function [itex]f:N\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex]

xxxxxxPreliminaryxxxxxxx
the pull-back of a covector is FIRST defined at a single point, as

[itex](F^{*}\alpha)_{x}(v)=\alpha_{F(x)}(F_{*}v)[/itex]

where

[itex]\alpha_{y}[/itex] is a member of the cotangent vector of [itex]N[/itex] at [itex]y[/itex].

xxxxxQuestionxxxxxx
At this point, I would like to pull-back vectors and push-forward covectors, but STILL at a SINGLE point. In other words, I do NOT want to consider FIELDS yet (I plan to do that later, as doing things step by step is more instructive).

I propose that the pull-back of vectors at a single point is defined if and only if [itex]F_{*}[/itex] is invertible at that point. Then, I can write [itex](F^{*}u)_{y}:=((F_{*})^{-1}u)_{y}[/itex] where [itex]u[/itex] belongs to the tangent space of [itex]N[/itex] at [itex]y[/itex].

Similarly, I propose that the push-forward of covectors at a single point is defined if and only if [itex]F^{*}[/itex] is invertible at that point. Then, I can write [itex](F_{*}\beta)_{x}=((F^{*})^{-1}\beta)_{x}[/itex] where [itex]\beta[/itex] belongs to the cotangent space of [itex]M[/itex] at [itex]x[/itex]

Does anyone know if this is right? is there a book that deals with things completely point-wise (until using fields becomes unavoidable)?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks ok. Except the notation ((F))-1u)y is weird.

Better is ((F-1))u)y where F-1 stands for a local inverse of F around y.

Thanks Quasar897!

the reason I was using the notation [itex]((F_{∗})^{-1}u)_{y}[/itex] is that I was not aware of the inverse function theorem:

xxxxxxx Inverse function theorem xxxxxxxxx
If [itex]F_{*}[/itex] is invertible at the point [itex] x \in M[/itex], then [itex] F [/itex] is a local diffeomorphism around [itex]x \in M [/itex]. In other words, in some neighborhood of [itex]x \in M[/itex] the inverse [itex]F^{-1}[/itex] is defined.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Would you mind giving me your opinion on the following chain of reasoning?

1. I want to introduce the pull-back of vector fields.
2. I begin by trying and pulling-back vectors at a single point.
3. The only sensible definition for a single-point pull-back of a vector is the inverse of the push-forward at that point.
4. I have no choice but to assume [itex]F_{*}[/itex] invertible at the single point of interest.
5. From the inverse function theorem, I am actually forced to assume that [itex]F[/itex] is a local diffeomorphism.
6. Hence, I automatically get a pull-back that works for vector FIELDS, albeit locally around a point.
7. Then, I just need to repeat the procedure for every point on [itex]M[/itex]. Hence, the pull-back of vector fields is defined if and only if [itex]F[/itex] is a local diffeomorphism from [itex]M[/itex] to [itex]N[/itex].

Any help is very appreciated!

I would agree with all 7 points!

Why don't you try some specific examples of pullbacks and pushforwards along maps F?

What is the definition of "pull-back of vectors at a single point"?

The pull-back of vectors at a single point is a mathematical operation that involves transforming a set of vectors defined at one point into a set of vectors defined at another point. This is often used in differential geometry and multivariable calculus to understand how vector fields change in different coordinate systems.

How is the pull-back of vectors at a single point calculated?

The pull-back of vectors at a single point is calculated using the Jacobian matrix, which describes the relationship between two coordinate systems. The Jacobian is multiplied by the vector at the original point to obtain the vector at the new point.

What is the significance of the pull-back of vectors at a single point?

The pull-back of vectors at a single point is important for understanding how vector fields behave in different coordinate systems. It allows for the comparison of vectors at different points and helps to visualize how vector fields change and deform in different directions.

What are some real-world applications of the pull-back of vectors at a single point?

The pull-back of vectors at a single point has many practical applications, such as in fluid dynamics, where it is used to study the flow of fluids in different directions and at different points. It is also used in computer graphics to transform objects and images between different coordinate systems.

What are some common misconceptions about the pull-back of vectors at a single point?

One common misconception is that the pull-back of vectors at a single point is the same as a vector transformation or rotation. While they are related, the pull-back involves a more complex mathematical operation that takes into account the relationship between two coordinate systems. Another misconception is that the pull-back is only applicable to vectors, when in fact it can also be used for other mathematical objects, such as tensors.