Need help finding energy absorbed by perfect black sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the amount of energy absorbed by a perfectly black sphere placed at a distance of 5.2 AU from the Sun. The necessary equations and steps to solve the problem are also mentioned, with a reminder to find the flux received by the sphere and the area over which the radiation is incident in order to calculate the total power absorbed.
mendem03

Homework Statement

Suppose we place a perfectly black sphere (i.e., a sphere that absorbs all energy it receives)
with radius 2500 km at a distance of 5.2 AU from the Sun. How much energy does the sphere
absorb in one second?
energy emitted by sun is given to be 3.90 * 10^26

Homework Equations

flux = energy emitted(luminosity)/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the area of the black sphere and the area of the energy emitted.
But I do not no what the next step should be. would i need to find the flux of the black sphere first then find how much energy it receives.
I am not looking for a solution to the question but how I would go about trying to solve it.
Can someone please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Figure out how much flux the black sphere receives FROM the sun at that distance. Figure out the area over which the radiation is incident. That will tell you the total power absorbed by the sphere.

Thank you for the help

1. How do you calculate the energy absorbed by a perfect black sphere?

The energy absorbed by a perfect black sphere can be calculated using the formula E = σAT^4, where E is the energy absorbed, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, A is the surface area of the sphere, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. What is a perfect black sphere?

A perfect black sphere is a hypothetical object that absorbs all incoming radiation and reflects none of it. It is a theoretical concept used in physics and thermodynamics.

3. How does the energy absorbed by a perfect black sphere compare to other objects?

A perfect black sphere absorbs more energy than any other object at the same temperature. This is because it reflects no radiation and absorbs all of it.

4. Is the energy absorbed by a perfect black sphere constant?

No, the energy absorbed by a perfect black sphere is not constant. It depends on the temperature of the sphere and the amount of radiation it is exposed to.

5. How is the energy absorbed by a perfect black sphere used in practical applications?

The concept of a perfect black sphere is used in thermodynamics and engineering to understand heat transfer and energy absorption in various systems. It is also used in the development of solar panels and other energy-absorbing technologies.