I want to know more about series convergence (elementary)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's ability to use various methods to check for convergence of a series and their concern about the behavior of 1/x and 1/x^2. They also mention an intuitive proof for the convergence of 1/n and the difference between the areas under the curves of 1/x and 1/x^2. The speaker acknowledges that it may not be intuitive but it is something that needs to be understood. They also ask if the listener has encountered formal methods for convergence involving norms.
1MileCrash
I am able to use a variety of methods to check to see if a series converges, and I can do it well. However, it's not something I feel like I've intuitively conquered.

I don't understand why the series 1/x diverges. I mean, I do, in that I know the integral test will give me the limit as x -> infinity of ln|x| which grows without bound, and I understand why the integral test makes sense, but I don't get it.

Why does it matter how quickly the function approaches 0 on an infinite plane?

Is there really an infinite area under the curve 1/x, but a finite one under 1/x^2? Why? What's so different about the two?

Does someone understand my concern? Is there some link between 1/x being the "standard" for whether or not a series converges and the behavior of ln x (increases extremely slowly?)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I understand your concern. But I'm afraid there is no easy answer. You find it not intuitively true that the series 1/n diverges but 1/n2 does not. I don't think I can explain to you why, except to say that they do.

However, I can give you an intuitive proof why 1/n converges:

[tex]1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{7}+\frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{10}+...[/tex]

[tex]\geq 1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{8}+\frac{1}{8}+\frac{1}{8}+\frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{16}+...[/tex]

[tex]\geq 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} + ...[/tex]

So this shows why our series diverges. We can even use this to find how fast the series diverges.

Likewise, one can indeed show that 1/x has infinite area and 1/x2 has finite area.

I know it isn't intuitive, but it's something you need to get used to.

Last edited:
Have you come across formal methods for convergence involving norms or are you in the early stages of your degree?

What is series convergence?

Series convergence is the property of a mathematical series where the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. A series can either converge, meaning it approaches a finite limit, or diverge, meaning it does not have a finite limit.

How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, including the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the series terms as the number of terms increases.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series where the absolute values of the terms are used to determine convergence. Conditional convergence refers to the convergence of a series where both positive and negative terms are present, and the series only converges when the terms are arranged in a specific order.

Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If a series has a finite limit as the number of terms increases, it is considered convergent. If a series does not have a finite limit, it is considered divergent.

Why is series convergence important?

Series convergence is an important concept in mathematics and physics, as it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of infinite sums. Many real-world applications, such as calculating the value of pi or determining the behavior of electrical circuits, rely on the principles of series convergence.