What is the process called of heating alloys to High temperature for strength

In summary, the process of heating alloys to a high temperature and then using a magnetic field to stop them from melting is known as "annealing" or "heat-treating". This process was first used in the Iron Age, and books on the subject are available online.
pezzer30
What is the process called of heating alloys to Hightemperature 10,000f+ and making them many times there normal strength? do most uivercitys have such a machine?
I read about it years ago in New scientist magazine, any help would be great

Andrew Perry

Science news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF, Pezzer.
The process that you refer to is commonly called "annealing" or "heat-treating". It has been in use since the beginning of the Iron Age. Just as burning the end of a pointed stick makes it more effective as a weapon, so does a bit of fire when incorporated into your "firepower".

Thanks but i ment something different i understand about Ion(Plasma) Nitriding and a few others but that's normally upto 1400c max, i am talking many times the tempreture with magnetic fields stopping the alloy from melting

Sorry, but that is the end of my knowledge. I won't respond further in this thread because I'm not qualified to do so. Since we are already in PM contact, though, feel free to contact me via that route any time. It might be a few days (weeks?) before I respond, but that has nothing to do with how I feel. I just don't check very often.

What is the Process called of controlling high tempreture plasma

What is the Process called of controlling high tempreture plasma 10,000 to 20,000 degrees Fahrenheit by magnetic fields, then putting inside the plasma field a piece of alloy to make it many time it's normal strength with the magnets stopping the piece of alloy from changing shape making any engineered part many time it;s mormal strength? I don't mean just normal annealing or heat treating, but very high tempreture plasma strengthening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look at this article.
http://www.ntn.co.jp/english/products/review/pdf/NTN_TR78_en_p033_040.pdf

What is the process called of heating alloys to High temperature for strength?

The process is called heat treatment.

Why do we need to heat alloys to high temperatures for strength?

Heating alloys to high temperatures allows for the atoms in the alloy to rearrange themselves, creating a stronger and more durable material.

What types of alloys require heat treatment for strength?

Most types of metal alloys can benefit from heat treatment, including steel, aluminum, copper, and titanium alloys.

What are the different types of heat treatment processes?

The four main types of heat treatment processes are annealing, quenching, tempering, and normalizing. Each process has its own specific purpose and application.

Can heat treatment be done at home?

While it is possible to attempt heat treatment at home, it is not recommended as it requires precise temperature control and can be dangerous if not done properly. It is best to leave heat treatment to professionals with the necessary equipment and expertise.