Thermal conductivity value of (.17-.20)W/m.K

In summary, the individual is seeking help with a project and has contacted a manufacturing company for thermal wrap material. The manufacturer provided information on the material's thickness and thermal conductivity. The individual is trying to determine how this formula and data applies in the real world, specifically in regards to thermal leakage and surface temperature. However, due to convection, it is difficult to accurately calculate and best practices and empirical results are relied upon. The individual plans to order the material and experiment to determine its effectiveness.
pityocamptes
I was hoping someone could help me with a project I am doing. I have contacted a manufacturing company thatmakes thermal wrap material, and I need to see if this will work for my project. According to the manufacturer the material is 1/16" thick - this info was also given to me by the manufacturer:

.17-.20 W/mK (1000 degrees C)

I'm basically just trying to figure out how this formula and the data given to me, applies in the real world? I basically need to know to what extend thermal leakage will happen with the material. So if I have a pipe with 1000 degrees F flowing through it, and the pipe is wrapped with this thermal material, how much heat will actually be coming off the material into the surrounding environment. Basically what would the surface temperature of the thermal material be? Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
This is a bit tricky due to convection. It works like this:

The power going out of the pipe is (if the insulation is not very thick):
[tex]P=0.2 \frac{A \Delta T}{d}[/tex]
Where A is the surface area in sqare meters ΔT is the temperature difference in Celsius or Kelvin and d is the thickness of the wrapping (if it was tightly wrapped). The outside temperature depends a lot on how much power the air can carry away. When the pipe gets hot enough there wil be quite a bit of thermal radiation [tex]P=A \sigma T^4[/tex] where σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, A is the surface area and T is the temperature in Kelvin. So you could calculate at what outside temperature the power going out of the pipe is radiated away at the same time. This only works for high temperatures and tight wrapping though, which is probably not what you want, but it would give an upper temperature limit.
For "normal" temperatures most of the heat is carried away by convection -- the flow of the rising air around the warm pipe, which is very hard to calculate, so usually this quantity is measured. Additionally if you wrap your pipe not very tight the trapped layers of air will help to improve the insulation considerably.

To make a long story short, you cannot really calculate this stuff all that well, and you have to rely on "best pratices". There is a bit about this in the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_insulation and in the end they have some links to free programs to calculate this stuff but to quote wikipedia: Equations for calculating this are based on empirical results and vary from standard to standard (both ASTM C 680 and EN ISO 12241 contain equations for estimating surface coefficients of heat transfer)

I hope that this helps a bit.

Thanks! I'll probably just order the material and experiment a little.

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is the ability of a material to conduct heat. It is a measure of how well a material can transfer heat from one point to another.

2. What is the unit for thermal conductivity?

The unit for thermal conductivity is watts per meter Kelvin (W/m.K). It measures the amount of heat, in watts, that can pass through a material with a thickness of one meter and a temperature difference of one Kelvin (or one degree Celsius).

3. What does a thermal conductivity value of (.17-.20)W/m.K mean?

A thermal conductivity value of (.17-.20)W/m.K means that the material has a moderate ability to transfer heat. It falls within the range of typical values for non-metallic materials, such as wood and plastic. This range also suggests that the material may have some insulating properties.

4. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter or a thermal conductivity analyzer. These devices use a heat source and a temperature sensor to measure the rate at which heat passes through a material. The thermal conductivity value is then calculated using the material's thickness and the temperature difference across it.

5. What factors can affect the thermal conductivity value of a material?

The thermal conductivity value of a material can be affected by factors such as its composition, density, and temperature. Materials with higher densities or higher thermal conductivities tend to have higher thermal conductivity values. Temperature can also play a role, as some materials may have different thermal conductivity values at different temperatures.