P-consciousness, a-consciousness, and reflexes

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, Ned Block argues that a- and p-consciousness are different because a-consciousness involves the brain, while p-consciousness doesn't (ever) have access to the functions of reflexes.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
(BTW I searched for another thread dealing with this issue but couldn't find one.)

To get a better grasp on the distinction between a- and p-consciousness, I'm reading Ned Block's http://www.bbsonline.org/documents/a/00/00/04/31/bbs00000431-00/bbs.block.html I'm not nearly finished, but I wonder why he doesn't use something like the knee-jerk reflex to illustrate the difference between a- and p-consciousness. How is a-consciousness different from simple reflexes? Is the only difference that a-consciousness involves the brain? Or is the difference that p-consciousness (sometimes) has access to the functions of a-consciousness, while p-consciousness doesn't (ever) have access to the functions of reflexes?

Is there another article I should be reading?
Edit: Yeah, I'm not following this paper at all. :confused: I'll look for another but would appreciate suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry myself if I were you. So long as we have no widely accepted theory of cognitive and perceptual functions, the various taxonomies presented here or elsewhere are bound to suffer from inconsistencies and will be subject to much eventual revision. An analogy would be the taxonomy of biology. Linnaeus' morphological taxonomy (again, the intuitive approach) turned out to be largely incorrect and misleading once we developed the techniques of molecular systematics by which we can reliably gauge the relations of biological organisms.

Linnaeus can hardly be blamed, because during his time, there existed no theory of molecular genetics. By the same token, we can hardly blame any cognitive scientist of philosopher today who inadvertently misgroups aspects of mental life.

The problems I've been having with the papers I've been reading center around a lack of comprehensiveness and precision in the foundation of the arguments. Everyone's supposedly trying to clarify the issue, but they do so by adding on a new set of terms which just pile on a new layer of confusion. For me, anyway. Perhaps I was expecting too much from them.
http://humanities.ucsc.edu/NEH/smith1.htm paper has been helpful so far. There seems to be something loopy going on in the other discussions about consciousness, but I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet.
I still like the idea of starting with reflexes and working up to wherever. But I'll finish reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the difference between p-consciousness and a-consciousness?

P-consciousness, or phenomenal consciousness, refers to the subjective experience of being aware of one's thoughts, feelings, and sensations. A-consciousness, or access consciousness, involves the ability to access and use information in the brain for cognitive processes such as decision making and problem solving. In other words, p-consciousness is the experience of consciousness, while a-consciousness is the functional aspect of consciousness.

How do reflexes differ from conscious actions?

A reflex is an automatic response to a specific stimulus, while a conscious action involves deliberate decision-making and control. Reflexes are typically controlled by the spinal cord and do not involve the brain, while conscious actions require input from the brain.

Can reflexes be modified or learned?

Yes, reflexes can be modified or learned through a process called conditioning. This involves repeatedly pairing a previously neutral stimulus with a reflex response, resulting in the development of a conditioned reflex. This is how we learn to associate certain actions or behaviors with particular stimuli.

Are reflexes solely controlled by genetic factors?

No, while some reflexes are innate and present from birth, others can be influenced by environmental factors and learning. For example, a child may develop a fear response to a previously neutral stimulus if they have experienced a negative event associated with that stimulus.

Do all animals have reflexes?

Yes, all animals have reflexes to some degree. Even simple organisms such as single-celled organisms have reflexive responses to certain stimuli. Reflexes are important for survival and can be found in varying degrees in different species.