What are the two possible values of K given a specific distance from a point?

• Thread starter Mo
  • Start date
In summary, the question was about finding the possible values of k for the point (3,k) which is at a distance of 5 units from the point (0,1). After discussing the concept of units and points on a graph, the solution was found to be k=-3 and k=5. The conversation also touched on the topic of K-12 education in the United States.
Mo
I have managaed to do all of the questions upto this one without getting an answer wrong .. but this question .. i just don't quite understand it.

"The point (3 , k) is a distance of 5 units from (0, 1) .

Find the two possible values of K"

What exactly do they mean by "5 units"

I am thinking that i am going to need to compare the length (3,k) to (0 ,1) plus "5 units" .And then solve for K :confused:

I don't need an answer, i need the question (push in the right direction would be nice) :rofl:

Regards,
Mo

PS: Also .. rather unrelated .. what exactly is K-12 ... because I am in college in UK .. but I am 16 (usual age when people enter college in UK) should my question be posted here in k-12 .. or "Homework:College level"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer you last question first: In the United States, children normally start in "kindergarten" (A German word!) at age five and then continue through 12 years (1st grade to 12th) so that they are typically 18 years old when they go to college.

Now, for your mathematical question.

"The point (3 , k) is a distance of 5 units from (0, 1) .

Find the two possible values of K"

What exactly do they mean by "5 units"

What do they mean by (0,1) or (3,k)? The point (0,1) is on the y-axis exactly 1 "unit" above the x axis. The point (3,k) is three "units" to the right of the y-axis and k "units" from the x-axis. A "unit" is whatever units (mm, meter, inch, mile or made up unit) are used to mark the axes.

'I am thinking that i am going to need to compare the length (3,k) to (0 ,1) plus "5 units" '

No, (3,k) is a point- it does not have a length! The line segment from (3,k) to (0,1) has a length: [itex]\sqrt{(3-0)^2+ (k-1)^2}[/itex]. Set THAT equal to 5 and solve for k. (hint: first thing you should do is square both sides). That will give you a quadratic equation which has two solutions.

You could do this geometrically: the set of all points which have distance 5 from (0,1) is the circle with radius 5 and center (0,1). That circle will cross the line x= 3 in two places. k is the y coordinate of those two places.

Thanks for your help, most appreciated.I got the answer in the end (k=-3, k=5) which is correct according to the answers.I guess its better for me to post in here! thanks again.

Regrads,
Mo

1. What is the significance of having two possible values of K?

Having two possible values of K means that there are two different solutions or outcomes for a given experiment or situation. It could indicate that there are multiple variables or factors at play, and both values of K could be valid depending on the circumstances.

2. How do you determine which value of K to use?

The determination of which value of K to use depends on the specific experiment or situation at hand. It could be based on prior research, statistical analysis, or trial and error. The most appropriate value of K should be chosen based on its relevance and accuracy in achieving the desired results.

3. Can both values of K be used simultaneously?

In most cases, it is not possible to use both values of K simultaneously. However, there may be certain situations where both values are relevant and can be used in different aspects of the experiment or analysis. It is important to carefully consider the implications of using both values of K and ensure that it does not lead to conflicting results.

4. What are the potential implications of using the wrong value of K?

The use of the wrong value of K could lead to inaccurate or misleading results. It could also affect the validity and reliability of the experiment or study. It is crucial to carefully select the appropriate value of K to ensure the accuracy and credibility of the findings.

5. How does the presence of two possible values of K affect the overall experiment or study?

The presence of two possible values of K can add complexity to the experiment or study, as it requires careful consideration and analysis to determine the most suitable value to use. It could also indicate that there are other variables at play that need to be further explored and understood in order to fully understand the results and implications of the experiment.