Lab Setup Question: Why was the CaCl2 Tube Used?

• Thread starter apchemstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the recorded data shows that the porcelain boat and its contents lost 8 grams of weight while the CaCl2 + U tube gained 9.614 grams. The CaCl2 tube was most likely placed between the generator and the tube containing the porcelain boat to absorb any evaporated HCl or H2O, which could have been released during the experiment. The correct answer to the question is most likely either a) or b), with b) being more likely. Without further information or clarification, it is difficult to determine the exact answer. It is recommended to seek a second opinion for confirmation.
apchemstudent
From the attachment: the recorded data

Before CuO + porcelain boat = 62.869g
CaCl2 + U tube = 80.483g

After: Porcelain boat + contents = 54.869g
CaCl2 + U tube = 89.483g.

Why was the CaCl2 tube between the generator and the tube containing the porcelain boat?

a) to absorb evaporated HCl
b) to absorb evaporated H2O
c) to slow down the gases released
d) to absorb the evaporated Zn particles
e) to remove the initial air that passes through the tube

which one is the answer? Our teacher doesn't do much lab work with us so please help. thanks.

Attachments

• Lab setup.jpg
    Lab setup.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
does anyone know the answer to this problem? i don't understand it at all. Thanks.

Well, from a quick glance, here's my humble opinion:

a)it's seems that this is a possibility

b)Zn + HCl does not produce water, merely hydrogen gas and the resulting salt. If it isn't pure HCl, than it could be a possibility.

C)probably not, although not completely sure. The question, I believe, refers to the common ion effect.

D)should probably rule out this one. Zn gas particles exist in the form of ions and this is under high temperatures.

E)...by now, my guess seems to be A or B, more towards B, although I highly advise a second opinion.

1. What is CaCl2 and why is it used in the lab?

CaCl2, or calcium chloride, is a salt compound commonly used in the lab as a drying agent. It has hygroscopic properties, meaning it can absorb moisture from the air, making it useful for removing water from solutions or air in experiments.

2. How does CaCl2 help with the lab setup?

The CaCl2 tube is typically used in the lab setup to create a dry environment. By removing excess water, it can prevent unwanted reactions or contamination in experiments and ensure accurate results.

3. Is CaCl2 safe to handle in the lab?

CaCl2 is generally safe to handle in the lab, but it is important to follow proper safety precautions. It can be irritating to the skin and eyes, so wearing gloves and goggles is recommended. It is also important to avoid inhaling the dust, as it can irritate the respiratory system.

4. Are there any alternatives to using CaCl2 in the lab?

Yes, there are other drying agents that can be used in the lab, such as silica gel or anhydrous compounds. However, CaCl2 is a common and effective option that is readily available and relatively inexpensive.

5. How should the CaCl2 tube be disposed of after use?

CaCl2 can be disposed of in the same way as other chemical waste, following the proper protocols and regulations set by your institution. It is important to avoid pouring it down the drain, as it can cause clogs and harm the environment. It is best to consult with your lab supervisor or safety officer for specific disposal instructions.