Understanding Quantum Physics Simplified - A Layperson's Guide

• Thread starter darrenkarp
  • Start date
In summary, quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with very small scales and is probabilistic in nature. It challenges our intuitive understanding of the world and suggests the existence of parallel universes. Physical properties in quantum mechanics take on discrete, whole-number values. Despite its complexity, there are resources available to help explain these concepts to non-experts.
darrenkarp
Hi All,

After reading a number of articles, books, websites, etc. on Quantum Theory, Mechanics, etc. I am still none the wiser. I am a simple man interested in particle physics...I don't do this for a job nor am I looking for a job in science but yet I have not discovered anyone or anything that can help to explain QP for the lay person.

I once visited a website which helped explain atoms, etc. very clearly (URL escapes me for now) but I cannot find anything similar for QP.

Can anyone help?
Darren

Physics news on Phys.org
quantum mechanics

As seen in the quote below from the transcript of the PBS documentary of Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe, even an MIT professor of physics admits he doesn't have a deep intuitive grasp of quantum mechanics:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3012_elegant.html

EDWARD FARHI (Massachusetts Institute of Technology): You have to learn to abandon those assumptions that you have about the world in order to understand quantum mechanics. In my gut, in my belly, do I feel like I have a deep intuitive understanding of quantum mechanics? No.

http://web.mit.edu/physics/facultyandstaff/faculty/edward_farhi.html

Far be it for me (a non-physicist) to claim to have a good understanding! However, here are some simple conceptual points associated with quantum mechanics. Perhaps these will help.

It deals with VERY SMALL SCALES.

http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/theory/quantum.html

It is PROBABILISTIC. A particle may be in one location (with some probability) or in another. Or it may be in both at the same time (which may involve parallel universes). See the aforementioned PBS transcript for more discussion.

Physical properties take on values only in DISCRETE, WHOLE-NUMBER UNITS. Quoting from the aforementioned Stanford link:

To get some idea of how counter-intuitive this idea of discrete values is, imagine if someone told you that water could have only integer temperatures as you boiled it. For example, the water could have temperatures of 85º, 86º or 87º, but not 85.7º or 86.5º. It would be a pretty strange world you were living in if that were true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Darren,

I completely understand your frustration and confusion when it comes to understanding quantum physics. It is a complex and abstract subject that can be difficult to grasp, even for those who study it as a profession.

However, there are resources available that can help simplify and explain quantum physics for the layperson. One approach is to break down the concepts into more manageable pieces and use analogies or real-world examples to make them more relatable.

Another helpful resource is to find a reputable and well-reviewed book or online course specifically designed for non-scientists. These resources often use more accessible language and explanations to help readers understand the basics of quantum physics.

Additionally, there are many popular science writers and communicators who have dedicated their careers to making complex scientific concepts understandable to the general public. These individuals often have books, articles, and videos that can help explain quantum physics in a simpler way.

Overall, my advice would be to keep searching for resources and approaches that work for you. Don't be discouraged if it takes some time and effort to understand quantum physics – it is a challenging subject, but with the right resources and determination, it is possible to gain a basic understanding. Good luck!

What does "Can't anyone make it simple?" mean?

"Can't anyone make it simple?" is a common phrase used to express frustration with a concept, process, or task that is difficult to understand or navigate.

Why is simplifying information important in science?

Simplifying information is important in science because it allows for clearer communication and understanding. Scientific concepts and findings can often be complex and difficult for non-experts to grasp, so it is important to break them down and present them in a simplified manner.

Can simplifying information compromise accuracy in science?

Simplifying information in science does not necessarily compromise accuracy. It is important to strike a balance between simplifying information for easier understanding while still conveying the essential details and avoiding oversimplification that may lead to misunderstandings.

What are some strategies for simplifying complex scientific information?

Some strategies for simplifying complex scientific information include using analogies and metaphors, breaking information down into smaller chunks, using visual aids, and using everyday language instead of technical jargon.

How can scientists ensure that their simplification of information is effective?

Scientists can ensure that their simplification of information is effective by testing it on a diverse group of individuals and gathering feedback. It is also important to continually revise and improve the simplified information based on new research and developments.