Showing infinite sets are countable using a proper subset

In summary: Is this supposed to be a contradiction proof? If I am showing that a set is infinite if one of its proper subsets are infinite, then there cannot be a 1-1 correspondence from either of the sets to any set {1,2,3,...n} for some positive integer...
k3k3

Homework Statement

Show if a set is infinite, then it can be put in a 1-1 correspondence with one of its proper subsets.

Homework Equations

This was included with the problem, but I am sure most already know this.

A is a proper subset of B if A is a subset of B and A≠B

The Attempt at a Solution

Did I do this correctly? Here is my work:

Showing the forward implication first:

Show if a set is infinite, then it can be put in a 1-1 correspondence with one of its proper subsets.

Let A be an infinite set.
Let B be an infinite set that is a proper subset of A.

Since A is infinite, there exists a bijective mapping f:X→A, where X is either the set of natural numbers or real numbers depending if the sets are countable or not, be defined by f(x_n)=a_n where x_n is in X and a_n is in A.

Similarly for B, there exists a bijective mapping g:X→B be defined by g(x_n)=b_n where x_n is in X and b_n is in B.

Since g is a bijection, its inverse exists and is a bijection.

Let h=f([itex]g^{-1}[/itex])

Since [itex]g^{-1}[/itex](b_n)=x_n, then f([itex]g^{-1}[/itex])=a_n

Therefore if a set is infinite, it can be put into a 1-1 correspondence with one of its proper subsets.

Reverse implication:

If a set can be put into a 1-1 correspondence with one of its proper subsets, then it is infinite.

Suppose a finite set can be put into a 1-1 correspondence with one of its proper subsets.

Let A={a,b,c,d}
Let B={c,d}

Let f:B→A
Where f(c)=a and f(d)=b

It is a 1-1 function, but not onto.

Therefore, if a a set can be put into a 1-1 correspondence with one of its proper subsets, it must be infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
k3k3 said:

Homework Statement

What's your definition of an infinite set? Reason I ask is that the property you're trying to prove is very often taken as the definition of an infinite set. So if you're using some other definition, it will be helpful to state it.

SteveL27 said:
What's your definition of an infinite set? Reason I ask is that the property you're trying to prove is very often taken as the definition of an infinite set. So if you're using some other definition, it will be helpful to state it.
The book defines an infinite set as:

Let A be an arbitrary set.
The set A is finite if it is empty or if its elements can be put in a 1-1 correspondence with the natural numbers.

The set A is infinite if it is not finite.

I included the finite definition too since the infinite definition is not very descriptive.

k3k3 said:
The book defines an infinite set as:

Let A be an arbitrary set.
The set A is finite if it is empty or if its elements can be put in a 1-1 correspondence with the natural numbers.

How can a finite set be put into 1-1 correspondence with the natural numbers? Are you sure you wrote that down correctly?

SteveL27 said:
How can a finite set be put into 1-1 correspondence with the natural numbers? Are you sure you wrote that down correctly?

Sorry, with a finite subset of natural nunbers I meant to write. That was not typed properly.

k3k3 said:
Sorry, with a finite subset of natural nunbers I meant to write. That was not typed properly.

Well, what's a finite subset? Isn't that the word we're trying to define?

Don't mean to be picking at you with details ... but the overall steps here are going to involve

1) Nailing down the definition of "infinite set."

2) USING that definition to prove what's required.

So we're stuck on step 1 here.

SteveL27 said:
Well, what's a finite subset? Isn't that the word we're trying to define?

Don't mean to be picking at you with details ... but the overall steps here are going to involve

1) Nailing down the definition of "infinite set."

2) USING that definition to prove what's required.

So we're stuck on step 1 here.
If it is finite, it can be put into a 1-1 correspondence with the set {1,2,3,...,n} for some positive integer n

k3k3 said:
If it is finite, it can be put into a 1-1 correspondence with the set {1,2,3,...,n} for some positive integer n

Ok!

Now, can you redo your proof, using that definition?

SteveL27 said:
Ok!

Now, can you redo your proof, using that definition?

Is this supposed to be a contradiction proof? If I am showing that a set is infinite if one of its proper subsets are infinite, then there cannot be a 1-1 correspondence from either of the sets to any set {1,2,3,...n} for some positive integer n.

k3k3 said:
Is this supposed to be a contradiction proof? If I am showing that a set is infinite if one of its proper subsets are infinite, then there cannot be a 1-1 correspondence from either of the sets to any set {1,2,3,...n} for some positive integer n.

Helpful to go directly back to what's required by the problem. You started out " If I am showing that a set is infinite if one of its proper subsets are infinite ..." which is a little confusing.

By the way, what class is this for? The fact that these two definitions are equivalent is non-trivial and involves some set-theoretical subtleties. However you're only being asked here to prove one direction, so perhaps that's more straightforward.

SteveL27 said:
Helpful to go directly back to what's required by the problem. You started out " If I am showing that a set is infinite if one of its proper subsets are infinite ..." which is a little confusing.

By the way, what class is this for? The fact that these two definitions are equivalent is non-trivial and involves some set-theoretical subtleties. However you're only being asked here to prove one direction, so perhaps that's more straightforward.

It's for a real analysis class. It is a if and only if problem, but I found the forward implication to be difficult. I should have paid attention to what I was typing instead of just transcribing everything I wrote on my paper and not include the reverse.

Here is the question verbatim from the book: Prove that a set is infinite if and only if it can be put into a 1-1 correspondence with one of its proper subsets. (A set A is a proper subset of B if A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B and A≠B)

k3k3 said:
It's for a real analysis class. It is a if and only if problem, but I found the forward implication to be difficult. I should have paid attention to what I was typing instead of just transcribing everything I wrote on my paper and not include the reverse.

Here is the question verbatim from the book: Prove that a set is infinite if and only if it can be put into a 1-1 correspondence with one of its proper subsets. (A set A is a proper subset of B if A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B and A≠B)

I don't have time to work this out at the moment ... but here's a link showing why this is a harder problem than it looks. The link doesn't have a proof or even a hint, just some interesting context for the question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedekind-infinite_set

Try posting what you've got so far and perhaps others can jump in.

1. How can you show that an infinite set is countable using a proper subset?

To show that an infinite set is countable using a proper subset, you can use the method of bijection. This means finding a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the infinite set and the elements of a known countable set, such as the set of natural numbers.

2. What is the importance of proving that an infinite set is countable?

Proving that an infinite set is countable is important because it helps us understand the size and structure of the set. It also allows us to make comparisons and draw conclusions about other sets that may be infinite, but not countable.

3. Can all infinite sets be counted using a proper subset?

No, not all infinite sets can be counted using a proper subset. Only sets that have a one-to-one correspondence with a known countable set can be counted using this method. Sets that are uncountably infinite, such as the real numbers, cannot be counted using a proper subset.

4. How does the concept of cardinality relate to showing infinite sets are countable using a proper subset?

The concept of cardinality, which refers to the size or quantity of a set, is essential in showing that an infinite set is countable using a proper subset. By establishing a bijection, we are essentially proving that the two sets have the same cardinality, even though one may be infinite and the other may be finite.

5. Are there any limitations to using a proper subset to show countability of an infinite set?

Yes, there are limitations to using a proper subset to show the countability of an infinite set. This method only works for sets that have a one-to-one correspondence with a known countable set. It cannot be used for sets that are uncountably infinite, such as the real numbers.