Finding extrema of a function subject to constraint

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum and maximum values of a function subject to a constraint. It is suggested to use the method of Lagrange multipliers or solve for one variable in terms of the other and substitute into the function. One person believes there are no extrema, but another presents a solution using Lagrange multipliers. A third person points out errors in the solution and explains that the constraint region is a circle centered at (0,0) in (X,Y)-space. It is also mentioned that the constraint being non-compact does not necessarily mean there are no extrema.
Mike s
Hello,
I need to find (if there are) minimum and maximum values of the following function: [tex]z=\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y} [/tex]
subject to constraint: [tex] \frac{1}{{x}^{2}}+\frac{1}{{y}^{2}}=\frac{1}{{a}^{2}} [/tex] [tex] a\neq 0 [/tex]

I think there are no extrema, but I do not know how to show it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike s said:
Hello,
I need to find (if there are) minimum and maximum values of the following function: [tex]z=\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y} [/tex]
subject to constraint: [tex] \frac{1}{{x}^{2}}+\frac{1}{{y}^{2}}=\frac{1}{{a}^{2}} [/tex] [tex] a\neq 0 [/tex]

I think there are no extrema, but I do not know how to show it.

There are two standard methods: (1) use the constraint to solve for one of the variables in terms of the other, then substitute that expression into z; or (2) use the method of Lagrange multipliers. If, for example, you solve for y in terms of x, you will have two solutions because you have a quadratic constraint. You need to look at both of the resulting problems.

There _are_ extrema in this problem.

RGV

I guess my question would be why do you need to find minimum and maximum values? You seem to be saying you have no idea how to approach this problem so apparently it is not for a Calculus class where one would expect to see such problems. Using the Lagrange multiplier method leads to y= x which should also be obvious from the symmetry of the two formulas. As Ray Vickson says, there is one minimum and one maximum.

HallsofIvy said:
I guess my question would be why do you need to find minimum and maximum values? You seem to be saying you have no idea how to approach this problem so apparently it is not for a Calculus class where one would expect to see such problems. Using the Lagrange multiplier method leads to y= x which should also be obvious from the symmetry of the two formulas. As Ray Vickson says, there is one minimum and one maximum.

I have solved this problem by using Lagrange multipliers.
However, the answers that my teacher has published, say that the solution to the Lagrange system of equations is neither minimum nor maximum because the function has no extrema.
Proving that this function does not have extrema is the part where I am stuck.

Here is the solution posted by my teacher (sorry for my English):
30c21rr.jpg

Last edited:
Mike s said:
I have solved this problem by using Lagrange multipliers.
However, the answers that my teacher has published, say that the solution to the Lagrange system of equations is neither minimum nor maximum because the function has no extrema.
Proving that this function does not have extrema is the part where I am stuck.

Here is the solution posted by my teacher (sorry for my English):
30c21rr.jpg

Here is another twist on the problem. Assume throughout that a > 0. Suppose we look at [itex] X = 1/x, \; Y = 1/y.[/itex] Now the problem is to maximize or minimize [itex] z = X + Y,[/itex] subject to the constraint [itex] X^2 + Y^2 = 1/a^2.[/itex] The constraint region is a circle of radius 1/a centered at (0,0) in (X,Y)-space, and in this problem the GLOBAL max occurs at [tex] (X,Y) = \left(\frac{1}{a\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{a \sqrt{2}} \right),[/tex] giving [itex] z_{\max} = \sqrt{2}/a, [/itex] while the global min is at
[tex] (X,Y) = \left(-\frac{1}{a\sqrt{2}},-\frac{a}{a \sqrt{2}} \right),[/tex] giving
[itex] z_{\min} = - \sqrt{2}/a.[/itex] Since these optimal are global, it is absolutely impossible to have (X,Y) giving z > zmax or z < zmin.

Your posted solution given above contains errors. The correct equation for y should be
[tex]\left(n^2 - \frac{1}{a^2} \right) y^2 - 2ny + 2 = 0, [/tex] which does NOT have real roots for [itex] |n| > \sqrt{2}/a.[/itex]

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Here is another twist on the problem. Assume throughout that a > 0. Suppose we look at [itex] X = 1/x, \; Y = 1/y.[/itex] Now the problem is to maximize or minimize [itex] z = X + Y,[/itex] subject to the constraint [itex] X^2 + Y^2 = 1/a^2.[/itex] The constraint region is a circle of radius 1/a centered at (0,0) in (X,Y)-space, and in this problem the GLOBAL max occurs at [tex] (X,Y) = \left(\frac{1}{a\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{a \sqrt{2}} \right),[/tex] giving [itex] z_{\max} = \sqrt{2}/a, [/itex] while the global min is at
[tex] (X,Y) = \left(-\frac{1}{a\sqrt{2}},-\frac{a}{a \sqrt{2}} \right),[/tex] giving
[itex] z_{\min} = - \sqrt{2}/a.[/itex] Since these optimal are global, it is absolutely impossible to have (X,Y) giving z > zmax or z < zmin.

Your posted solution given above contains errors. The correct equation for y should be
[tex]\left(n^2 - \frac{1}{a^2} \right) y^2 - 2ny + 2 = 0, [/tex] which does NOT have real roots for [itex] |n| > \sqrt{2}/a.[/itex]

RGV

You are right. I will notify my teacher.
However, when you take [itex] X = 1/x, \; Y = 1/y.[/itex], can you really say it's a circle centered in (0,0)? X and Y cannot be equal to zero, therefore the constraint is not compact, so you cannot guarantee the existence of global extrema.

Last edited:
Wrong. In (X,Y) space the function to be optimized is X+Y and the constraint region is a circle centered at (0,0). Of course I am allowed to have X=0, but such an X is not the reciprocal of a finite x. Do not confuse two separate issues: SOME X and Y are related to finite values of x and y, but I am allowed to look at other values of X and Y as well.

Also: do not ever assume that a continuous function on a non-compact set lacks maxima or minima. Compactness is a _sufficient_ condition for existence of a max or min, but it is not a _neccessary_ condition. Many smooth functions on non-compact regions have both maxima and minima.

RGV

1. What is the definition of an extremum of a function?

An extremum of a function is a point on the graph of the function where the function reaches its highest or lowest value. It can be either a maximum (highest) or minimum (lowest) value.

2. What does it mean for a function to be subject to a constraint?

When a function is subject to a constraint, it means that the values of the independent variable(s) are limited or restricted in some way. This can be expressed in the form of an equation or inequality.

3. How do you find extrema of a function subject to a constraint?

To find extrema of a function subject to a constraint, you can use the method of Lagrange multipliers. This involves finding the critical points of the function while also satisfying the constraint, and then evaluating the function at those points to determine the extrema.

4. What is the importance of finding extrema of a function subject to a constraint?

Finding extrema of a function subject to a constraint is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as optimization problems in economics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to find the most efficient or optimal solution to a problem while taking into account any limitations or restrictions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers to find extrema of a function subject to a constraint?

While Lagrange multipliers is a powerful tool for finding extrema of a function subject to a constraint, it may not work for all types of constraints. In some cases, other methods such as substitution or graphical analysis may be necessary to find the extrema.