Far infrared? Ceramics and pH? Magnetic therapy?

In summary, a person encountered someone trying to sell supposed healing and therapeutic products, including a rotating magnet device, far infrared radiation therapy, and pH-harmonizing ceramics. The seller claimed they offered a complete replacement for medicine cabinets and that the products worked through magnetic fields and biochemical stability. However, the person remained skeptical and could not find any factual evidence to support the claims. They also mentioned previous research that showed only intense and high frequency magnetic fields had therapeutic effects, and that common magnets do not have any proven benefits. Overall, it was deemed to be pseudoscience and a marketing tactic.
abhishek
I'm posting this here because I don't know the legitimacy of the topic and whether it qualifies for discussion in the other physics sections.

Curious thing happened today that's got me wondering...

I met someone who represented a company that apparently sells healing and therapeutic products (though, tbh, I suspect they're really selling multi-level marketing). He presented some kind of device with a rotating magnet that "stabilised the body" and helped relieve aches, pains, etc. He mentioned that it was "a complete replacement for the medicine cabinet". (Already alarm bells were ringing in my head.)

I pressed him for details as to its workings but all he could tell me was something vague about magnetic fields and biochemical stability. He segued into other treatment devices they offered, including something that used far infrared radiation for further stability/harmony, and some ceramic that balanced pH levels in the bloodstream. :confused:

He said a lot about not knowing the technical workings of the products, and that he only has user experience as proof.

I told him I was sceptical, so he tried to demonstrate the rotating magnet device by doing some ridiculously uncontrolled/unfair testing that involved me trying to maintain posture/balance while he applied pressure by hand to dissuade my body from remaining upright. Must've been a funny sight for the neighbours. :tongue:

Apparently my "energy levels" were "better" (what does he mean?) after he waved the magic device over my back, and that's why I retained posture better after it. :yuck:

I'm fairly convinced there's no substance to most of this. But I admit I have no factual knowledge that leads me to think so. What I'd like to know from the reasonable minds at PF is if there is some gem of truth among any of it. Even if there isn't, exactly what are these people supposedly claiming about far infrared radiation and pH-harmonising ceramics? I've never heard of it before. Could make for some amusing reading. :rofl:

I do hear a lot about magnetic treatments and its applications in stuff like underlays in beds -- ads on TV mostly, nothing credible. Has this been properly tested and found to be effective, or is it simply over-marketed?

Thanks. :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked into all of this when a guy at work was selling magnets and trying to recruit everyone. From what I have seen there is no evidence that low level magnetic fields provide any relief or therapeutic value. What I did see was that intense, varying magnetic fields - I believe on the order of one Tesla and a thousand hertz - have been shown to provide some sort of relief and can also aid healing in some cases, but this uses something like an MRI magnet which is about ten thousand times stronger than common magnets. The hyped magnet therapy literature mentioned the related medical benefits from an OHSU study, but nothing about the fact that you would need a magnet the size of a truck and rotating a thousand times a second. [values cited here are approximate but representative].

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
A copper bracelet is cheaper. It will eventually turn your wrist green, which is more than can be said for magnets - which do absolutely nothing.

Sounds like a bunch of psudo-science mumbo jumbo to me. Seems like their taking some of the exeriments mentioned by Ivan and using it as a nebulous connection to sell their products.

What is far infrared?

Far infrared is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. It is commonly used for heat therapy and is believed to have many health benefits.

How do ceramic materials relate to far infrared?

Ceramic materials are often used in far infrared therapy due to their ability to emit and reflect far infrared rays. These materials can also hold heat for longer periods of time, making them ideal for heat therapy.

What is the connection between pH and far infrared?

Far infrared therapy has been shown to have an alkalizing effect on the body, meaning it can help balance pH levels. This is due to its ability to increase blood flow and improve circulation, which can help remove acidic waste from the body.

What is magnetic therapy?

Magnetic therapy is the use of magnets or electromagnetic fields to treat various health conditions. It is believed that these magnetic fields can stimulate the body's natural healing processes and provide pain relief.

How does magnetic therapy work?

Magnetic therapy is thought to work by increasing blood flow and oxygenation to the affected area, which can help reduce inflammation and promote healing. It may also have an effect on nerve cells, helping to block pain signals to the brain.