Angle of projection above an incline?

In summary, the projectile's range is maximized by choosing an angle gamma which is between 0 and 90 degrees and which is also the launch angle.
Buck268
Well, right now I'm working on one helluva a problem... Basically, a projectile is given a velocity of V sub "o" (Vo). The launch angle is gamma degrees above an surfaced which is inclined theta degrees above the horizontal. I'm tasked with finding its range along the inclined surface as well as finding the optimal angle gamma to maximize the range.

So far, what I've done is rotate the coordinate system suh that the x-axis is along the inclined surface with the origin of the (x,y)-axis being the intersection of this inclined surface, the ground, and the initial launch point.

This provides for the following components of "G" (which I'm taking to be -9.8m/s^2). Gx = -g*Sin Theta and Gy = -g*Cos Theta. This took a lil goemetry to obtain (had to draw a couple diagrams in order to work it all out).

Then I solved for t = (2Voy/g)Sec theta as well as Vox = VoxCos(gamma + theta). Of coarse, I now see an error, as that Vox would be for (x,y) with respect to the ground, not the incline surface... I'll post where my correction has lead to in a second...

Physics news on Phys.org
Just apply

[tex] s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

perpendicular to the surface and along the surface. Use the fact that perpendicular to the surface s = 0.

Always a clear diagram with angles and directions is usful to quickly solve this kind of problems.

OK, well I've never seen that form, but I'm using R(t) = do + Vox*t - .5Axt^2. Looks to me like s = r(t), u = Vox, and of course Do = 0...

Anyways, The problem I'm running into is simplifiing to a deferentiable form, since I'm trying to find the maximum gamma (probably should solve for gamma first, too?). The equation I've worked out seems to be correct, but I have trig functions of both gamma and theta. I'll see if I got AutoCAD laying around, if so I'll make a lil drawing right quick, but let me show you the equation I have...

[tex]s = VoCos\gamma [\frac{2VoSin\gamma}{g} * Sec \theta] - \frac{gSin \theta}{2} * [\frac{2VoSin\gamma}{g} * Sec \theta]^2[/tex]

Which is in the form [tex] s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

Like I said, I'm not sure how/if this is differentiable or solvable for gamma... I suppose this equation is the equation for the range of the projectile along the inclined surface, but I would still have to zero out the derivitive with respect to gamma in order to find the gamma which provides for max range, correct?

Those "g" vectors (gravity... 9.8m/s^2) came from the formula I used for time, which worked out to be [tex]t = \frac{2Voy}{g}*Sec\theta[/tex] where naturally [tex]Voy = VoSin\gamma[/tex]...

Last edited:
the equation for the range (r(t) or s if you prefere) seems to work out to:
[tex]r(t) = \frac{2Vo^2 * Sin\gamma * Cos\gamma}{g*Cos\theta} - \frac{2Vo^2 * Sin^2 \gamma}{gCos\theta}*Tan\theta[/tex]

hmmmm...

Ahhh I'm retared... I think that everything is supposed to be a constant except gamma... Maybe that would make it easier :yuck:

Ahhh well I've came up with
[tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{2}ArcCot(Tan \theta)[/tex]

That's what I got too.

Excellent, thank you for the assistance :biggrin:

...now on to providing a general proof that for a given speed there are two angles between 0 and 90 degree which have the same range... Yay...

Last edited:

1. What is the angle of projection above an incline?

The angle of projection above an incline refers to the angle at which an object is launched or thrown from the horizontal surface of an incline. It is measured from the incline's surface to the initial direction of motion of the object.

2. How is the angle of projection above an incline calculated?

The angle of projection above an incline can be calculated using the formula: θ = tan-1(h/d), where θ is the angle of projection, h is the height of the incline, and d is the horizontal distance from the point of projection to the base of the incline.

3. What factors affect the angle of projection above an incline?

The angle of projection above an incline is affected by the height and slope of the incline, as well as the initial velocity of the object being projected.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of projection above an incline and the range of the object?

The angle of projection above an incline has a direct impact on the range of the object. As the angle increases, the range of the object also increases until it reaches a maximum at a specific angle. After this point, further increases in angle will result in a decrease in range.

5. How does the angle of projection above an incline affect the motion of an object?

The angle of projection above an incline determines the trajectory of the object's motion. A smaller angle will result in a shorter and higher trajectory, while a larger angle will result in a longer and flatter trajectory.