What is the Latest Addition to the Fundamental Particle Family?

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary, a new fundamental particle has been discovered, and it is a Chi Meson. The Chi Meson joins its brothers and sisters in the nuclear family of hadrons. There are no other fermions, leptons, or bosons to complement the Chi Meson and its line of Hadrons.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
News Update:

A new fundamental particle has made it’s way into the world. Little Benjamin Dolan Chidley (aka “Benji Meson”, distinguished by the presence of the beauty and charmed quarks) was born Friday, February 4, at 7:15 am. The largest known fundamental particle with a rest energy of 2.1 x 10^36 eV.
He joins his brother “Si Meson” and “Nellie Meson” in our nuclear family of hadrons.

The parent particles avoided mutual anihilation and are now doing well.

Something tells me I'll have less spare time than before.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats on your new particle and for giving new meaning to the term "nuclear family." :biggrin: :smile:

Congratulations!

Yep, you're going to be a bit busier. :tongue:

Congratulations on the new 'discovery' :biggrin:, let's hope this new line of particles have an extremely long half-life. Question though... are there any fermions, leptons, or bosons to complement your Chi Meson and line of Hadrons?

Aaah the puns are great, and while I am on the subject Chi Meson, couldn't scientists technically shorthand your name to "Chion" like they did with the Pi Meson the Pion?

Congrats [itex]\chi [/itex] !111

:biggrin: Congratulations! *wrecks brain for something relevant to say*...oh I met a most adorable and demure little girl of 3 a few days ago. Her father took her along to take measurement of curtains for my apartment. Out of her bag of chocolate wafers, she gave me the one and only Ferrero Rocher she had :approve: . Congratulations again :smile: .

Congratulations! Hope Mom and son are doing fine.

Enjoy your "maximal hellicity".

Congratulations :smile:.

What wonderful news! I am delighted to hear about your new arrival. :smile:

motai said:
Congratulations on the new 'discovery' :biggrin:, let's hope this new line of particles have an extremely long half-life. Question though... are there any fermions, leptons, or bosons to complement your Chi Meson and line of Hadrons?

Aaah the puns are great, and while I am on the subject Chi Meson, couldn't scientists technically shorthand your name to "Chion" like they did with the Pi Meson the Pion?

No, no leptons; we are all of us very large particles. No bosons at all (can't stand the way they hide inside each other, can you?) Heck, not even a Baryon so we're not even representative of all Hadrons, are we? (We do LIKE the Protons, and the Neutrons, but there are just too too many of them, it's kinda creepy).

There was this cousin of ours, Mr. Cascade Hyperon, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of the guy for years. We called him "kissy" (coz his symbol was the greek "ksi"). He didn't like that. I think he was a Baryon.

And no, I never took to "Chion." But my son, "Si Meson" is known, usually, as "Simon." His sister particle is just "Nell." We'll see what sticks witht he new guy; maybe "Ben"?

Thanks to everyone's well-wishes. Please excuse me if I don't participate much for a while.

And Happy Birthday Tribdog! Whoo-hoo!

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
No, no leptons; we are all of us very large particles. No bosons at all (can't stand the way they hide inside each other, can you?)

Hmm...so is it that common to see a boson become a lepton with about a 9 month half life? :confused: :tongue2:

We'll understand if you don't post as much for a while, or if you start posting strange, incoherent things that can be typed with only one hand in the middle of the night while rocking your little lepton in the other arm.

Moonbear said:
We'll understand if you don't post as much for a while, or if you start posting strange...

No no no! we have a strict rule about conservation of strangeness here!

(Oh my god I never realized the pun potential here!)

Chi Meson said:
No no no! we have a strict rule about conservation of strangeness here!

(Oh my god I never realized the pun potential here!)

Conservation of strangeness? Hmm...I thought there was an infinite amount of strangeness in the universe. I do believe in conservation of sleep, which means now that you have another little particle sleeping 18 hours a day, those 18 hours of sleep have to be lost from somewhere else, usually from the parents. :biggrin:

Has the Law of Conservation of Strangeness been recinded? It's similar to conservation of lepton number or conservation of charge; you can have any amount of "strangeness" but in any interaction the total "strange" number remains constant. Or am I old?

You're right about conservation of sleep number. Net sleep gain in our house is indeed zero. This is achieved through the pair production of sleep -antisleep particles. In the first rew weeks these antisleep things were clustered on my a** like freakin higgs bosons! They are starting to anihilate now.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of asking "So, what have I been doing?"

The purpose of asking "So, what have I been doing?" is to gain an understanding of one's recent activities and accomplishments. It can also serve as a conversation starter or a way to catch up with someone.

2. How do you respond to someone asking "So, what have I been doing?"

When someone asks "So, what have I been doing?", you can respond by sharing a brief summary of your recent activities, such as work projects, hobbies, or personal events. You can also ask the person for their specific interests or provide more detail if they seem genuinely interested in your response.

3. Is "So, what have I been doing?" a polite way of asking someone what they have been up to?

Yes, "So, what have I been doing?" is a polite and casual way of asking someone what they have been up to. It is often used as a friendly greeting or as a way to initiate a conversation.

4. Can "So, what have I been doing?" be interpreted as a judgmental question?

No, "So, what have I been doing?" is not typically interpreted as a judgmental question. It is a common phrase used in casual conversations and does not carry a negative connotation. However, tone and context can play a role in how the question is perceived.

5. Why do people sometimes ask "So, what have I been doing?" multiple times in a conversation?

People may ask "So, what have I been doing?" multiple times in a conversation to show interest and engagement in the other person's life or to keep the conversation flowing. It can also be a way to show they care and want to know more about the person's recent activities.