The Music of "Phantom of the Opera": A Review

• Music
  • Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
In summary, "Phantom of the Opera" is a musical about a disfigured musical genius who becomes obsessed with a young opera singer and uses his talents to manipulate and control her career while terrorizing the Paris Opera House. The music was composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber with lyrics by Charles Hart and Richard Stilgoe. While the story of a mysterious figure haunting an opera house has been told before, "Phantom of the Opera" is a work of fiction. The music is popular and enduring thanks to its emotional melodies and mix of different styles. The show's success has had a significant impact on the world of musical theater, paving the way for other grand-scale productions and popularizing the "rock opera" genre.
klusener
I really don't like the movie that much, but the songs, i just can't have enough of those songs - The Music of the Night and the Point of No return.. They are very nice pieces of music..

Science news on Phys.org
Do you live in england? If so, try and watch the musical, its great!

Speaking of musicals, i highly recommend 'le miserables'. It is an absolute masterpiece by Victor Hugo.

I appreciate your personal opinion on the movie "Phantom of the Opera" and its music. However, I would like to point out that music, like any other form of art, is subjective and can elicit different responses from different individuals. While you may not enjoy the movie itself, it is clear that the songs "The Music of the Night" and "The Point of No Return" have left a lasting impression on you. This is a testament to the power of music in evoking emotions and creating connections with its audience.

From a scientific perspective, music has been studied extensively for its effects on the brain and human behavior. It has been found to activate various regions of the brain, including those responsible for emotions and memory. This could explain why certain songs, like the ones from "Phantom of the Opera," can have a strong impact on individuals.

Furthermore, the music in "Phantom of the Opera" has been composed and arranged with great skill and artistry, incorporating elements of classical music and musical theater. This combination of styles may contribute to the appeal and popularity of the songs.

In conclusion, while your personal preference may not align with the movie itself, it is clear that the music of "Phantom of the Opera" has resonated with you on a deeper level. I find it fascinating how music can have such a profound effect on our emotions and experiences.

1. What is the plot of "Phantom of the Opera"?

The "Phantom of the Opera" follows the story of a disfigured musical genius who becomes obsessed with a young opera singer, Christine. He hides in the depths of the Paris Opera House and uses his talents to manipulate and control her career, while also terrorizing the opera house's staff.

2. Who wrote the music for "Phantom of the Opera"?

The music for "Phantom of the Opera" was composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber, with lyrics by Charles Hart and Richard Stilgoe.

3. Is "Phantom of the Opera" based on a true story?

While the story of a mysterious figure haunting an opera house has been told in various forms throughout history, "Phantom of the Opera" is a work of fiction and not based on a specific true story.

4. What makes the music of "Phantom of the Opera" so popular and enduring?

The music of "Phantom of the Opera" is known for its powerful and emotional melodies, as well as its use of recurring themes and motifs. The show also features a mix of different musical styles, including opera, rock, and ballads, making it appealing to a wide audience.

5. How has "Phantom of the Opera" impacted the world of musical theater?

"Phantom of the Opera" is one of the longest-running shows on Broadway and has been performed in over 35 countries, making it one of the most successful musicals of all time. Its success has also paved the way for other grand-scale productions and helped to popularize the "rock opera" genre.