No Room to Discuss Online Privacy

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, Jason's mom is invading his privacy by looking through his emails. His solution is to not tell her anything.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Nevermind. I don't want to discuss this online.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not?
Pleeeaaasseeeeeee

This is the typical job of a mother, sorry. If you are the only one who uses your computer you could always lock the screen. I think windows has that feature. Your girlfriend seems to be quite understanding which is always good. Few questions: Are you the oldest? youngest? Do you have a sister?

mattmns said:
This is the typical job of a mother, sorry. If you are the only one who uses your computer you could always lock the screen. I think windows has that feature. Your girlfriend seems to be quite understanding which is always good. Few questions: Are you the oldest? youngest? Do you have a sister?

I am in the middle. :(

I don't think my mom is being "bad" purposely. I don't think she realizes that she's being rude.

In the middle. Weird, I would have thought you to be either first or last. Guess my theory is out the window. What was your mom like when your older bro/sis was dating?

wanna discuss it offline, then I'll tell everyone what you say?

mattmns said:
In the middle. Weird, I would have thought you to be either first or last. Guess my theory is out the window. What was your mom like when your older bro/sis was dating?

With my sisters current girlfriend, she thought he was playing her and stuff. Now, she thinks he is using her.

Their relationship is very confusing, but I try to avoid jumping to conclusions.

With my brother, I guess she hasn't said much yet because he hasn't really "dated dated" I guess. Too early to say I guess.

sisters current girlfriend? wow, liberal family you have there

Okay, now this is driving me crazy! If you're going to keep discussing it anyway, could you fill the rest of us in on what it is we're discussing? From the gist of the conversation, I take it your mom is snooping in on emails between you and your girlfriend? That's what moms do, though when I was young, we didn't have email, we just had one phone, located in the kitchen so everybody could stand around and make fun of you while you were on the phone. I guess at least when they are all standing there blatantly listening in, there's no illusion of privacy, so you already know to watch what you say. If you don't want the whole family to hear it, wait until you're alone on a date to say it.

I have to disagree- It's wrong for a parent to invade their child's life to that extent unless they have a valid reason for doing so. I think too often parents masquerade plain nosey behavior under the guise of concerned parenting. If a parent genuinely suspects some illicit behavior, they need to snoop, but a lot of parents just want to be nosey. This drives the child further away and the parent ends up missing out on important things they actually need to know, because of the extreme lengths the child may go to in order to maintain secrecy.

That being said sometimes it's hard to know where to draw the line, and as a parent it's better to err on the side of overprotective than the opposite.

Of course they're just being plain nosey. That's why I'm willing to suggest ways around parental detection as long as I know the people involved are being responsible. Since the discussion seems to be revolving around an OP that's no longer there, I don't know what the situation is. My mom is definitely the nosey type, so my solution has evolved into simply not telling her anything about anything. Well, my mom is worse than nosey. She's a nosey gossip. There is no secret that's safe with her. On the other hand, if I want to let the whole family know something without spending all the time on the phone calling people, telling mom is the easiest way to accomplish it.

So, Jason, if your mom is being just plain nosey, you can warn her it's a good way to drive you away. I know I've found I'm far more content living about 900 miles away from my mom and talking to her only every few months or so.

Moonbear said:
Of course they're just being plain nosey. That's why I'm willing to suggest ways around parental detection as long as I know the people involved are being responsible. Since the discussion seems to be revolving around an OP that's no longer there, I don't know what the situation is. My mom is definitely the nosey type, so my solution has evolved into simply not telling her anything about anything. Well, my mom is worse than nosey. She's a nosey gossip. There is no secret that's safe with her. On the other hand, if I want to let the whole family know something without spending all the time on the phone calling people, telling mom is the easiest way to accomplish it.

So, Jason, if your mom is being just plain nosey, you can warn her it's a good way to drive you away. I know I've found I'm far more content living about 900 miles away from my mom and talking to her only every few months or so.

I do what all mothers want. I let them in on what I am doing. One problem though, my mom wants to know more than what she is entitled to know. It's literally none of her business. To top it all off, she continues to make assumptions of what I am "really" doing.

I should start doing what most people do. Don't talk at all.

Last edited:
or plant fake messages for her to intercept. join Al Queda, talk about your new scrotum piercing, etc.

What is online privacy and why is it important?

Online privacy refers to the ability of an individual to control and protect their personal information that is shared over the internet. It is important because it allows individuals to maintain their autonomy and protect their sensitive information from being accessed by others without their consent.

What are some common ways that online privacy can be compromised?

Online privacy can be compromised through data breaches, phishing scams, malware attacks, and social engineering tactics. It can also be compromised by companies and websites collecting and sharing personal information without the user's knowledge or consent.

How can individuals protect their online privacy?

There are several steps individuals can take to protect their online privacy, including using strong and unique passwords, being cautious about sharing personal information on social media, using secure websites with HTTPS, and regularly updating privacy settings on devices and online accounts.

What are the potential consequences of not discussing online privacy?

Not discussing online privacy can lead to individuals being unaware of the risks and threats to their personal information, and therefore not taking the necessary steps to protect it. This can result in identity theft, financial loss, and other forms of cybercrime.

What are some ethical considerations to keep in mind when discussing online privacy?

Some ethical considerations to keep in mind when discussing online privacy include respecting individuals' right to privacy, being transparent about data collection and usage, and avoiding discriminatory practices based on personal information. It is also important to consider the balance between privacy and security, and to ensure that any discussions about online privacy are inclusive and respectful of diverse perspectives.