What is the meaning of A^(⊥) in a mathematical context?

• Thread starter mikeph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation is about a condition in a math paper involving the symbol "x ∈ R ⊕ R⊥" which is usually read as "R perp." The "oplus" symbol represents a direct sum and in this context, it means that x can be uniquely written as a sum of two components, one from the set R and one from the set R perp.
mikeph
I'm looking at a condition in a maths paper that I don't understand, essentially it is:

x ∈ R ⊕ R

R is a set I think, but I'm not sure what the perpendicular symbol means.

Also am I correct in thinking the circled plus means that x must be in either R or R (but not both)?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The upside down capital T means <perpendicular>, both in elementary geometry and in linear algebra (or functional analysis). A to the power T upside dowm is the subset B of M made up of all y in M, such that whatever x from the subset A of M, <x,y> = 0, where (M,<,>) is a scalar product space.

MikeyW said:
I'm looking at a condition in a maths paper that I don't understand, essentially it is:

x ∈ R ⊕ R
It's usually read as "R perp".

If "R" is the real line, then "R perp" is a line perpendicular to it. Their direct sum is the plane containing the two lines.

What is the meaning of A^(⊥)?

A^(⊥) is a mathematical notation used to denote the orthogonal complement of a set A. This means that it represents all the elements that are perpendicular to the elements in set A.

How is A^(⊥) different from A?

A is the original set, while A^(⊥) represents the set of all elements that are perpendicular to the elements in A. In other words, A^(⊥) is a subset of the space that is orthogonal to A.

What is the significance of A^(⊥)?

The concept of orthogonal complement is important in linear algebra and functional analysis. It allows us to define a space that is orthogonal to a given set, which is useful in solving systems of equations and finding the best approximation for a set of data.

How is A^(⊥) calculated?

The calculation of A^(⊥) depends on the specific context in which it is used. In general, to find the orthogonal complement of a set A, we need to first define a vector space in which A exists. Then, we can use various mathematical techniques, such as finding the null space or using the Gram-Schmidt process, to determine the orthogonal complement of A.

Can A^(⊥) be empty?

Yes, it is possible for A^(⊥) to be empty. This occurs when the set A is already the entire vector space, meaning there are no elements that are perpendicular to it. In this case, A^(⊥) would be the null set, denoted by ∅.