Rectilinear and Rotational Motion

In summary, the landing gear of an aircraft can be modeled as a wheel with a damper and spring attached horizontally. The equation of motion for the center of mass of the wheel is given by (I+mr^2)a + cr^2v + kr^2x = 0, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, x is displacement, k is spring stiffness, and c is damping coefficient. However, the mass of the wheel and the fact that it should roll without slipping should also be taken into consideration.
phiska
Landing Gear of an aircraft can be modeled as a wheel with damper and spring attached horizontally.

I have to show that the equation of motion is given by
(I+mr^2)a + cr^2v + kr^2x = 0

where a= acceleration, v= velocity, x= displacement and spring stiffness = k and damping coefficient = c.

I realize i have use resultant forces = ma, and then substitute for friction into the sum of moments about the centre= 0.5(mr^2).

However, when i do this, i get an extra mr^3xtheta(double dot).

Am i missing the point with respect to intial conditions or is my maths just all over the place?

Help!

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
phiska said:
Landing Gear of an aircraft can be modeled as a wheel with damper and spring attached horizontally.

I have to show that the equation of motion is given by
(I+mr^2)a + cr^2v + kr^2x = 0

where a= acceleration, v= velocity, x= displacement and spring stiffness = k and damping coefficient = c.
It looks to me like you are trying to describe the equation of motion of the centre of mass of the wheel. Is r the radius of the wheel? What is the mass, m? It looks like the mass of the wheel only. What about the mass of the rest of the gear (eg. spring)?

AM

mass of wheel, m, radius of wheel, r, mass of spring and damper not considered and no mass of rest of landing gear.

Also, wheel should roll without slipping.

1. What is the difference between rectilinear and rotational motion?

Rectilinear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to the rotation of an object around a fixed axis.

2. How is rectilinear motion measured?

Rectilinear motion is typically measured using distance, displacement, speed, and acceleration.

3. What are some real-life examples of rectilinear and rotational motion?

Rectilinear motion can be seen in the movement of a car along a straight road, while rotational motion can be observed in the spinning of a top or the swinging of a pendulum.

4. What is the equation for calculating rotational motion?

The equation for rotational motion is θ = ωt + ½αt^2, where θ is the angular displacement, ω is the angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time.

5. How does friction affect rectilinear and rotational motion?

Friction can slow down or stop rectilinear motion, while in rotational motion, friction can cause the object to lose angular velocity and eventually stop spinning.