Alter Angular Momentum & Forces | Explained with Examples

• Thread starter mark9159
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking for here. The linear distance would be the vertical distance that you would have to travel to reach the surface of the Earth from a starting point that is 4.9 meters above it.
mark9159
1) in what way could angular momentum be changed?
Ans) alter the mass, alter the angular velocity, and redistribute the mass

2) You have one screwdriver with a thick handle and one with a thin handle. Which one would be better for opening a stubborn can of paint?
Ans) Either screwdriver--they are the same. I picked this answer because the i believe that the thickness of the handle does not interfere with the screwdriver's ability to pry open a can of paint

3) Which screwdriver would be better for turning a stubborn screw?
Ans) The thick-handled screwdriver

4) How do we know that a force from the Earth acts on the moon?
Ans) I put because the moon orbits the earth

5) What force keeps the moon in orbit around the earth?
Ans) Gravitational force

6) You turn a corner in your car and slide to the outside edge of the seat. Why does this happen?
Ans) Centrifugal force pulls you to the outside

What kind of force does friction provide when your car turns a corner?
Ans) centripetal

8) On a carnival ride, what force keeps you moving in a circle with the ride?
Ans) Centripetal

And can someone explain to me what i should do to solve this problems..with hints, and not answers preferbably.

What linear distance corresponds to a drop in the Earth's surface of 4.9 meters?

thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
1. redistributing mass does not change the angular momentum.

"What linear distance corresponds to a drop in the Earth's surface of 4.9 meters?"

?? 4.9 meters is a "linear distance"! I don't know what else that could mean.

"In what way could angular momentum be changed?"

a) alter the mass

b)alter the angular velocity

c) redistribute the mass

d) all of the above

i picked all of the above because altering the mass and altering the velocity both change angular momentum..can you please explain this to me?

Could you explain your answer to me?? You say "i picked all of the above because altering the mass and altering the velocity both change angular momentum". How is the fact that you knew a and b were correct a reason for saying "all of the above" and including c?

Take the typical example of a skater doing a spin. She moves her arms inward, not changing her mass but "redistributing" her mass. What happens to her angular velocity? Why? (What happens to her angular momentum?)

2) You have one screwdriver with a thick handle and one with a thin handle. Which one would be better for opening a stubborn can of paint?

Your answer is generally correct, but it depends on how picky you want to get. A thick-handled screwdriver will distribute the force over the palm of your hand better, meaning you can apply more force before getting hurt.

6) You turn a corner in your car and slide to the outside edge of the seat. Why does this happen?
Ans) Centrifugal force pulls you to the outside

No. Centrifugal force is an illusion. Hint: there is a "property" you have that causes you to continue in the same direction while the car turns.

What linear distance corresponds to a drop in the Earth's surface of 4.9 meters?

Uh ... that would be ... 4.9 meters?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of a moving object that describes its rotational motion. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and torque?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force, and it is responsible for changes in angular momentum. The relationship between the two is described by the equation torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration.

4. How do forces affect angular momentum?

Forces can change an object's angular momentum by exerting a torque on it. This can either increase or decrease the object's rotational speed or direction.

5. Can you give an example of how angular momentum and forces work together?

One example is a figure skater spinning on the ice. As the skater pulls their arms closer to their body, their moment of inertia decreases, causing their angular velocity to increase and their spin to speed up. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, as the skater's total angular momentum remains constant.