Drawing schematics for solid state physics research

In summary, the conversation is about the need to draw schematic diagrams for a poster and senior thesis in materials science research. The objects that need to be drawn include a PLD chamber, thin films, XRD, SEM, energy diagrams, and a sin wave. The person has tried using Inkscape and PowerPoint, but is looking for better tools for 3D drawing. They have found some examples of drawings they like and are considering using old CAD programs or Visio for the project. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use Google Images to search for simple 3D drawing software.
pinkfishegg
Hello,
I'm working on a poster and senior thesis in materials science research and need to draw schematic diagrams of a few objects including:

-a PLD chamber
-Thin films
-XRD
-SEM
-energy diagrams
-a sin wave

I've downloads inkscape and have tried to draw in powerpoint so far. Are there better tools for 3D drawing? Inkscape is great for vector drawing and stuff like that but it's difficult to draw 3D objects and curved line, in particular sin waves (I need to draw photons sometimes.) Any suggestions? I thought about using old CAD programs for thin films.

Physics news on Phys.org
pinkfishegg said:
Hello,
I'm working on a poster and senior thesis in materials science research and need to draw schematic diagrams of a few objects including:

-a PLD chamber
-Thin films
-XRD
-SEM
-energy diagrams
-a sin wave

I've downloads inkscape and have tried to draw in powerpoint so far. Are there better tools for 3D drawing? Inkscape is great for vector drawing and stuff like that but it's difficult to draw 3D objects and curved line, in particular sin waves (I need to draw photons sometimes.) Any suggestions? I thought about using old CAD programs for thin films.

Have you seen drawings/diagrams similar to what you want to make? If so, can you post a couple here? That may help us to figure out what was used.

I'm guessing that Visio may work for what you want, maybe in combination with OrCAD or some other schematic drawing package. Modern packages let you cut and paste things into each other, so you can combine mechanical drawings from CAD packages with schematics and block diagrams, photographs, etc.

pictures

Sure here's some pictures I found. I'm testing for the spin Seebeck effect and making thin films.

Attachments

• PLD1.jpg
    PLD1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 501
  • PLD2.jpg
    PLD2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 500
  • PLD3.jpg
    PLD3.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 520
more pics

here are some more pics
SEM1.jpg

SSE2.jpg

SSE3.jpg

I drew something like the thin film diagram using powerpoint and it turned out alright. Is there something better though? What do people recommend?

pics

more pics

Attachments

• SSE1.jpg
    SSE1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 522
  • thin film 1.jpg
    thin film 1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 489
  • thin film 2.jpg
    thin film 2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 461
pics

one last one

Attachments

• XRD1.jpg
    XRD1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 483
Do you have any idea what package was used to draw those? Is there a way to find out? Where did they come from?

The 2-D pics you can draw in Visio fairly easily. The 3-D drawings would take something more like AutoCAD or equivalent drawing package, I would think.Update -- I used Google Images to search for simple 3d drawing software free. That turned up a lot of hits. Maybe try that Google Images search?

1. What software do you recommend for drawing schematics for solid state physics research?

There are several software options available for drawing schematics in solid state physics research, such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and NanoEngineer-1. Each software has its own pros and cons, so it ultimately depends on the preferences and needs of the researcher. It is best to try out different software and choose the one that works best for you.

2. Are there any specific guidelines for drawing schematics in solid state physics research?

Yes, there are some general guidelines that should be followed when drawing schematics for solid state physics research. These include using clear and concise labels, using consistent symbols and colors, and representing the structure and dimensions accurately. It is also important to include a scale bar and a legend for all symbols used.

3. How detailed should the schematics be in solid state physics research?

The level of detail in the schematics will depend on the specific research project and its requirements. Generally, the schematics should be detailed enough to clearly convey the structure and important features of the system being studied, but not overly complex that it becomes difficult to interpret. It is also important to keep in mind the intended audience and their level of understanding when deciding on the level of detail.

4. Can I use pre-made schematics for my research in solid state physics?

While it may be tempting to use pre-made schematics, it is always best to create your own to accurately represent your research. Pre-made schematics may not always be suitable for your specific project and could lead to inaccuracies or misunderstandings. However, you can use them as a reference and modify them as needed.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to draw schematics for solid state physics research?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to draw schematics for solid state physics research. Some universities offer courses or workshops on technical drawing and there are also online tutorials and guides available. It is also helpful to consult with colleagues and experts in the field for tips and advice.