The Difference Between Euclidean and Riemannian Spaces

In summary, Euclidean space is a special case of a Riemannian manifold where the positive definite metric is a Euclidean metric. Riemannian manifolds are more general than Euclidean manifolds, and they always have a metric.
LagrangeEuler
What's the difference between Euclidean and Riemann space? As far as I know ##\mathbb{R}^n## is Euclidean space.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's replace the word "space" with "manifold" because its more general.
A Riemannian manifold is a manifold having a positive definite metric.
A Euclidean manifold is a special case of a Riemannian manifold where the positive definite metric is a Euclidean metric i.e. [itex] d(x,y)=\sqrt{\sum_i (x_i-y_i)^2} [/itex].

Tnx. But what other metrics do you have to be positive definite in ##\mathbb{R}^n##? According to this is Riemann space also Hilbert space?

Last edited:
Anything anyone can think of!
For example the taxicab metric.

About your second question,the semi-definite metric making our manifold a Riemannian one,maybe not induced by an inner product!
Also the metric space in question maybe not complete.
So no,not all Riemannian manifolds are Hilbert Spaces!
But it seems to me that every Real Hilbert Space,is a Riemmanian manifold!
(Sorry math people for putting my feet into your shoes!)

Last edited:
Shyan said:
Let's replace the word "space" with "manifold" because its more general.

Unless by space you mean something like vector spaces, it's actually the other way around. The restriction to manifolds is necessary, however, since they are precisely the spaces on which Riemannian metrics are defined.

A Riemannian manifold is a manifold having a positive definite metric.
A Euclidean manifold is a special case of a Riemannian manifold where the positive definite metric is a Euclidean metric

They are technically different kinds of metrics. The metrics you learn about when studying metric spaces are very different than Riemannian metrics.

jgens said:
Unless by space you mean something like vector spaces, it's actually the other way around. The restriction to manifolds is necessary, however, since they are precisely the spaces on which Riemannian metrics are defined.
In fact I was considering the "space" in the OP to mean 3-dimensional Euclidean manifold!
jgens said:
They are technically different kinds of metrics. The metrics you learn about when studying metric spaces are very different than Riemannian metrics.
I was starting to feel that way too,because the wikipedia page on Riemannian manifolds were defining Riemannian metrics somehow that I couldn't relate it to the definition of metric in metric spaces!
So I retreat and leave this thread to mathematicians.

LagrangeEuler said:
What's the difference between Euclidean and Riemann space? As far as I know ##\mathbb{R}^n## is Euclidean space.

Riemannian manifolds are those manifolds equipped with a specific Riemannian metric. It can be shown that every manifold can be endowed with such a metric.

Euclidean space has a bit more flexible interpretation in my opinion. Sometimes it can refer to Rn purely as a topological space. Other times it may refer to the vector space structure of Rn. It could mean a combination of the two as well. Or it could refer to Rn as a Riemmanian manifold with the usual metric or something else still.

1. What is the difference between Euclidean and Riemann space?

Euclidean space is a flat, three-dimensional space where the laws of Euclidean geometry apply. It is the familiar space we experience in our everyday lives. Riemann space, on the other hand, is a non-Euclidean space where the laws of non-Euclidean geometry apply. It is a curved, multi-dimensional space that is used in physics to describe the universe.

2. What is the significance of Euclidean and Riemann space in physics?

Euclidean space is used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of particles and objects, while Riemann space is used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. Riemann space is also used in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, where it is used to describe the geometry of multi-dimensional spaces.

3. How are Euclidean and Riemann space related?

Riemann space is an extension of Euclidean space, meaning that Euclidean space can be seen as a special case of Riemann space. In Riemann space, the laws of Euclidean geometry still hold locally, but the overall geometry of the space is curved.

4. What is the concept of parallel lines in Euclidean and Riemann space?

In Euclidean space, parallel lines never intersect and are always equidistant from each other. In Riemann space, parallel lines can intersect and their distance from each other can vary depending on the curvature of the space. This is a consequence of the non-Euclidean geometry in Riemann space.

5. Can Euclidean and Riemann space be visualized?

Euclidean space can be easily visualized as it is the space we experience in our daily lives. However, Riemann space is a multi-dimensional space that cannot be directly visualized. Mathematicians and physicists use mathematical tools and models to represent and study Riemann space.