Question on Ionic bonds and compounds

In summary: One cation will exert an equal attractive force to all of the electrons within the system.Now obviously, ionic bonds are "weaker" than covalent bonds, but my question is that according to the attached image, you can't necessarily have crystals being formed in a covelant bond as you would in an ionic bond, right?Yes, you can have crystals in an ionic bond, but it's less likely because the ionic bond has less energy. And also,
mathzeroh
Now obviously, ionic bonds are "weaker" than covalent bonds, but my question is that according to the attached image, you can't necessarily have crystals being formed in a covelant bond as you would in an ionic bond, right? And also, when an ionic bond occurs, what makes it possible for a crystal to form??

In a NaCl crystal for example, why are the electrons of both Sodium and Chlorine equally attracted to other Na and Cl ions?? I mean, since they are attracted to each other (pretty loosely too I'm assuming), how come when other chlorine ions show up and more Na ions show up, why do they attract to each other and form these crystals? Shouldn't it be only a 1:1 ratio between them?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
hmmm i seem to be having a little bit of a problem with uploading the images.

i think there's a bug or something on the forum..
[edit:]
The attached images that were supposed to be up there:

Attachments

• molbonds.gif
    molbonds.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 586
  • NaCl.jpg
    NaCl.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 529
  • nacl2.jpg
    nacl2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 545
Now obviously, ionic bonds are "weaker" than covalent bonds,

In water, yes, depends on if the ionic compound in question will dissolve in water.

but my question is that according to the attached image, you can't necessarily have crystals being formed in a covelant bond as you would in an ionic bond, right?

Ionic compounds form certain crystal lattice arrangements for which lattice energy applies. It's a crystal in the sense of a continuous, long range pattern of molecular bonding.

And also, when an ionic bond occurs, what makes it possible for a crystal to form??
Try observing the third image to the right. It's an ordered arrangment of ions, one anion/cation interacts with a specific number of cation/anion to form solid crystals with a long range molecular pattern.

In a NaCl crystal for example, why are the electrons of both Sodium and Chlorine equally attracted to other Na and Cl ions?? I mean, since they are attracted to each other (pretty loosely too I'm assuming), how come when other chlorine ions show up and more Na ions show up, why do they attract to each other and form these crystals? Shouldn't it be only a 1:1 ratio between them?

no, note that each element is a charged ion, you may have learned from physics on the attraction of each of these ions to each other with the accumlation of the net potential energy of the system. One cation will exert an equal attractive force to all of the electrons within the system.

mathzeroh said:
Now obviously, ionic bonds are "weaker" than covalent bonds, but my question is that according to the attached image, you can't necessarily have crystals being formed in a covelant bond as you would in an ionic bond, right? And also, when an ionic bond occurs, what makes it possible for a crystal to form??
Why should the formation of covalent bonds hamper the formation of a crystal. You can have covalent crystals (diamond) just as easily as ionic ones (NaCl).

In a NaCl crystal for example, why are the electrons of both Sodium and Chlorine equally attracted to other Na and Cl ions??
The valence electron of each Na atom is equally attracted to each of the 6 neighboring atoms because :

1. They (the neighboring Cl atoms) are all equally far from the Na atom, (cubic crystal structure)
2. They are all identical (Cl) atoms, and
3. Their relative orientations are identical - meaning no one neighboring atom is different from the others, so they should all attract the valence electron equally.

I mean, since they are attracted to each other (pretty loosely too I'm assuming), how come when other chlorine ions show up and more Na ions show up, why do they attract to each other and form these crystals? Shouldn't it be only a 1:1 ratio between them?
This is extremely vague. Please be more precise. Who are "they" and "them" ?

1. What is an ionic bond?

An ionic bond is a type of chemical bond that forms between two atoms when one atom gives away electrons to another atom. This results in a positive and negative charge, creating a bond between the two atoms.

2. How are ionic bonds different from covalent bonds?

Covalent bonds involve the sharing of electrons between atoms, while ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons from one atom to another. Additionally, ionic bonds are typically formed between a metal and a non-metal, while covalent bonds are formed between two non-metals.

3. What are some examples of ionic compounds?

Some common examples of ionic compounds include table salt (sodium chloride), calcium carbonate, and magnesium oxide. These compounds are typically formed between a metal and a non-metal, resulting in a crystal lattice structure.

4. How are ionic compounds named?

Ionic compounds are named by using the name of the metal first, followed by the name of the non-metal with its ending changed to -ide. For example, sodium chloride is the ionic compound formed between sodium and chlorine.

5. How do ionic compounds behave in water?

Ionic compounds tend to dissociate in water, meaning they break apart into their constituent ions. This allows them to conduct electricity and dissolve in water. Additionally, the positive and negative charges of the ions are attracted to the polar water molecules, causing the compound to dissolve.