Swimming in Pool for 1+ Hours Causes Voice to Break: Reasons?

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary, the person has noticed that their voice breaks and they are unable to speak after swimming in the pool for over an hour. They are wondering why this happens and if it could be due to lap swimming or interacting with others at a high volume. Another possibility is that they may be swallowing a lot of heavily chlorinated water which could irritate their throat. However, the person also mentions that this could be a natural occurrence due to their age. They clarify that it is not due to chlorine since they have also swum in a pool with saline water.
JamesU
Gold Member
I've noticed that everytime I swim in the pool for 1+ hours, My voice will break and at some points I can't speak. does anyone have any ideas as to why this happpens?

Biology news on Phys.org
Is this lap swimming or another pool activity where you are not talking to anyone or are you actively conversing with your friends at probably a higher than normal volume?

Or are you swallowing a lot of heavily chlorinated water that's irritating your throat? That used to happen to me in pools, the chlorine was irritating, and I'd have a sore throat after spending a lot of time in a pool (even if I wasn't talking or shouting, just swimming quietly).

Of course, you're also at that age where your voice might be starting to break for reasons other than swimming. :wink: It could just be coincidence that it's happening now while you're out swimming a lot with warm weather's arrival.

no, my voice gets high and breaks for a few hours after swimming.

it's not chlorine, because one of my friends' pools uses a kind of water called saline, it has no chlorine in it.

1. What is the scientific explanation for voice breaking after swimming in a pool for 1+ hours?

The scientific explanation for voice breaking after swimming in a pool for 1+ hours is related to the presence of chlorine in the pool water. Chlorine is a strong chemical that is used to disinfect pool water, but it can also irritate the mucous membranes in the throat and vocal cords. This irritation can cause inflammation and swelling, leading to a temporary hoarseness or voice breaking.

2. Is this phenomenon experienced by everyone who swims in a pool for 1+ hours?

No, not everyone who swims in a pool for 1+ hours will experience voice breaking. It can vary depending on factors such as the sensitivity of an individual's vocal cords, the amount of chlorine in the pool water, and how long they have been swimming.

3. Can using a swim cap or avoiding getting water in the mouth prevent voice breaking?

Using a swim cap or avoiding getting water in the mouth can help reduce the chances of voice breaking, but it may not completely prevent it. Chlorine can still irritate the throat and vocal cords through inhalation or contact with the skin, so it is important to take breaks and drink plenty of water while swimming for an extended period of time.

4. How long does it take for the voice to return to normal after swimming in a pool for 1+ hours?

The length of time for the voice to return to normal can vary, but it is typically temporary and should improve within a few hours to a day. If the irritation persists, it is recommended to consult a doctor.

5. Are there any long-term effects of swimming in a pool for 1+ hours on the voice?

There are no known long-term effects on the voice from swimming in a pool for 1+ hours. However, repeated exposure to chlorine and other chemicals in pool water can have negative effects on overall respiratory health, so it is important to take precautions and limit the amount of time spent in the pool.