Def'n of Limit Point? and limit.

In summary, a limit point is a number that satisfies the condition that for all delta, there exists a point in the set different from the limit point that is within a distance of delta from the limit point. The definition of a limit point is necessary in order to define the limit of a function as it approaches a point. The definition of a limit also includes the condition that for every epsilon, there exists a delta so that if the distance between x and the point is less than delta, then the distance between the function of x and the limit is less than epsilon. These definitions hold for any metric or topological space.
calvino
I know that there are different definitions for a limit point .

"A number such that for all , there exists a member of the set different from such that .

The topological definition of limit point of is that is a point such that every open set around it contains at least one point of different from ."-MATHWORLD

Are they all equivalent, when defining "the limit of f"? Or, this may help too, does my definition of a limit sound correct?...(bold-faced variables are vectors)

Let f: U->R^n
Let a be an element of the reals such that for all delta' >0 there exists an x in U, different than a, such that ||x-a||<delta'.
We say that lim f(x)=L as x->a, if for every epsilon>0 there exists a delta''>0 so that if ||x-a||<delta'' then ||f(x)-L||<epsilon.

Also, Is it right that I used delta' and delta"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it necessary that I write U to be an open set?

Limit point in this sense is not the same thing at all as the limit of a function as it aproaches a point.

They are two different things.

i know that, but you DO need to define a limit point in order to define the limit. It would really help if you could please look at my definition of a limit.

To be honest, I'm not sure I understand the question.

calvino said:
Let f: U->R^n
Let a be an element of the reals such that for all delta' >0 there exists an x in U, different than a, such that ||x-a||<delta'.
We say that lim f(x)=L as x->a, if for every epsilon>0 there exists a delta''>0 so that if ||x-a||<delta'' then ||f(x)-L||<epsilon.
In set form, the definition then reads that for every open set U about a in R, there exists an open set V in Rn about L that contains f(U), the image of U under f.
If D is the domain of f, then we see that L is a limit point of f(D).

Except for one small point, since x and a are real numbers you mean |x-a|, not ||x-a||, Your definition of limit is correct. You really have 2 definitions:

"Let a be an element of the reals such that for all delta' >0 there exists an x in U, different than a, such that ||x-a||<delta'."
is saying that a is a limit point of the set (of real numbers) U.

"We say that lim f(x)=L as x->a, if for every epsilon>0 there exists a delta''>0 so that if ||x-a||<delta'' then ||f(x)-L||<epsilon."
is the definition of limit of the function (which only exists a a limit point of U).

No, U does not have to be an open set. Although in that case a would be member of U.

If you keep ||x-a|| then U can be a subset of any Rm[/tex].

In fact, if you use a ||x-a|| to represent a general metric (distance) function, the definitions are correct for a function between any two metric spaces.

If you replace "||x-a||< delta" with "there exist an element of U in every open set containing a". Then your definitions work in any topological space.

What is a limit point?

A limit point is a point in a set where every neighborhood of that point contains at least one other point in the set. It is not necessary for the point itself to be in the set.

What is the definition of a limit point?

The formal definition of a limit point is that for a set S, a point x is a limit point if for any open interval containing x, there exists at least one point in S other than x.

How is a limit point different from a boundary point?

A limit point is a point within a set that has points from the set arbitrarily close to it, while a boundary point is a point that separates the set from its complement.

Can a limit point be an isolated point?

No, an isolated point is a point that is not a limit point, as it does not have any points from the set close to it.

What is the relationship between limit points and accumulation points?

Limit points and accumulation points are essentially the same concept. They both refer to points in a set that have points from the set arbitrarily close to them. In some contexts, limit points are referred to as accumulation points and vice versa.