Solving Matrix Ax = b Problem: Step-by-Step Homework Guide

• Thread starter bodensee9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding a 2 by 3 system Ax = b with a complete solution of x = [1 2 0] + w*[1 3 1] and the concept of Gaussian elimination. It also mentions the relation between the number of parameters, unknowns, and the rank of the system matrix. The conversation ends with a clarification about the number of rows in the solution vector.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

I am wondering if someone could help me with the following. I am asked to find a 2 by 3 system Ax = b whose complete solution is x = [1 2 0] + w*[1 3 1] Imagine that these are colum matrices because I can't type columns on here.

FIrst, I don't see how you can get a three row matrix if from a 2 by three system? Don't you need a 3 by 3 matrix if your variable is u,v,w since you have three columns?

So, I guess the eventual matrix would looke something like the following:

1 -1 0
0 -3 1
0 0 0

And if the above is A, would be solution be Ax = [1 2 0]?

And then I'm asked to find a 3 by 3 system with these solutions for Ax = b when b = [b1, b2, b3] and b1+b2 = b3? Imagine again that these are column matrices. So would I then get the following matrix:

1 -1 0
3 0 1
0 0 0

so if that is A then I set it to Ax = [1 2 0]. What I did is that I set A from the first part to equal to some b, that satisfies the condition, so say [1 -1 0] and then use matrix addition and substraction to arrive at the new matrix?

Thanks much!

Physics news on Phys.org
bodensee9 said:

Homework Statement

I am wondering if someone could help me with the following. I am asked to find a 2 by 3 system Ax = b whose complete solution is x = [1 2 0] + w*[1 3 1] Imagine that these are colum matrices because I can't type columns on here.

What does Gaussian elimination tell you about the system? How does the system look like when you can 'read' the particular and homogenous solution out of it?

Further on, d = n - r(A), where d is the number of 'parameters in the solution', n is the number of unknowns, and r(A) is the rank of the system matrix A. This relation should be of some use, too.

You need to do elimination until you get pivots and as much as you can zeros above the pivots. So here the parameter is 1 and so you need to have 3 columns and 2 rows. But then, if that is true, then how can your solution have 3 rows since if your have 3 unknowns and A only has 2 rows? Thanks.

bodensee9 said:
But then, if that is true, then how can your solution have 3 rows since if your have 3 unknowns and A only has 2 rows? Thanks.

Rows don't matter. If you have 3 unknowns, then your solution vector has to have 3 rows.

Edit: more precisely, after doing Gaussian elimination, you'll obtain a matrix of the form
[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 0 & a_{13}' & | b_{1}' \\
0 & 1 & a_{23}' &| b_{2}' \\
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]
Do you see how the solutions fit in now?

Last edited:

1. What is a matrix Ax = b problem?

A matrix Ax = b problem is a system of linear equations, where A is a matrix of coefficients, x is a vector of variables, and b is a vector of constants. This type of problem is commonly used in linear algebra and can be solved using various methods such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion.

2. How do I solve a matrix Ax = b problem?

There are several methods for solving a matrix Ax = b problem, including Gaussian elimination, matrix inversion, and using MATLAB or other software tools. The method you choose will depend on the size and complexity of the problem and your personal preference.

3. What is the importance of matrix Ax = b problems in science?

Matrix Ax = b problems are important in science because they can be used to model real-world situations and solve complex systems of equations. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

4. Can a matrix Ax = b problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a matrix Ax = b problem can have multiple solutions. This is known as an underdetermined system, where there are more variables than equations. In this case, there are an infinite number of solutions that satisfy the equations.

5. What are some applications of matrix Ax = b problems?

Matrix Ax = b problems have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They can be used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze networks and circuits, perform data analysis, and even simulate physical systems. They are also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.