Damped Oscillation and amplitude

In summary, the given conversation discusses a science museum exhibit of a brass pendulum with a 110 kg bob and a 15.0-m-long wire. The pendulum is started at 8:00 a.m. every morning by pulling it 1.5 m to the side and releasing it. The pendulum's damping constant is 0.010 kg/s due to its compact shape and smooth surface. The questions asked are: (1) How many oscillations will the pendulum have completed at 12:00 noon? and (2) What is its amplitude? The attempted solution uses the equation x=A_{}0 e ^{}-(b/2m)t cos( \varpi \acute{} t+\phi
BAC5.2

Homework Statement

Given: "In a science museum, a 110 kg brass pendulum bob swings at the end of a 15.0-m-long wire. The pendulum is started at exactly 8:00 a.m. every morning by pulling it 1.5 m to the side and releasing it. Because of its compact shape and smooth surface, the pendulum's damping constant is only 0.010 kg/s."

Questions:

(1) At exactly 12:00 noon, how many oscillations will the pendulum have completed?

(2) And what is its amplitude?

Homework Equations

None Given

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation x=A[tex]_{}0[/tex] e [tex]^{}-(b/2m)t[/tex] cos( [tex]\varpi[/tex] [tex]\acute{}[/tex] t+[tex]\phi[/tex])

I used the first bit of the equation to find the exact amplitude t(x) when x=14400 (x=A[tex]_{}0[/tex]e[tex]^{}-(b/2m)t[/tex] to find the amplitude)

But the trouble I'm having is the number of oscillations in the 4 hour period.

I took the angular frequency ([tex]\varpi\acute{}[/tex]) and multiplied that by the number of seconds (14400), but the resulting answer was incorrect. Since [tex]\phi[/tex]=0, taking the cosine of ([tex]\varpi\acute{}[/tex]) gives another answer, but I'm not confident that it is the correct answer, and I don't want to stab in the dark until I get it right.

I'm a bit stuck.

Since this is damped oscillation, and the initial period is greater than one second, the number HAS to be less than 14400.

Any help? Am I on the right track? Is there something I'm missing?

Note: It doesn't seem that the latex is putting superscripts in the correct locations, so please bear with me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
have a look at the thread in intro physics.

Thank you! All solved.

1. What is damped oscillation?

Damped oscillation is a type of motion in which the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to the presence of a dissipative force, such as friction or air resistance.

2. How is the amplitude of a damped oscillation affected?

The amplitude of a damped oscillation is affected by the damping coefficient, which determines the rate at which energy is dissipated, as well as the initial amplitude and frequency of the oscillation.

3. What is the difference between underdamped, critically damped, and overdamped oscillations?

Underdamped oscillations occur when the damping coefficient is less than the critical value, resulting in a gradual decrease in amplitude. Critically damped oscillations occur when the damping coefficient is equal to the critical value, resulting in the fastest decay of amplitude. Overdamped oscillations occur when the damping coefficient is greater than the critical value, resulting in a slower decrease in amplitude.

4. How can damped oscillations be applied in real life?

Damped oscillations can be observed in a variety of natural and man-made systems, such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, or the motion of a car's suspension system. They can also be used in engineering applications, such as shock absorbers and vibration dampers.

5. How do damped oscillations differ from simple harmonic motion?

Damped oscillations differ from simple harmonic motion in that the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to the presence of a dissipative force. Simple harmonic motion, on the other hand, has a constant amplitude and is only affected by changes in frequency.