Q2 Help: Quantum Mechanics U=100v & U=10000v Wavelengths

In summary: If you are self-studying then we may be able to help you more, but if you are on a course then we cannot.
Ming0407
QuantumMechanicsquestion.jpg

my Q1 ans. when U=100v, wavelength=1.228 x 10^-10 m
when U=10000v, wavelength=1.228 x 10^-11 m

Q2 ans. help me...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! I'm afraid you will need to show your attempt at a solution before anybody can help you. It is the policy of this forum.

Sorry, i don't know the policy of this forum. Anybody can help me?

Question 1 seems to be fine. You've found the momentum and used the de Broglie wavelength equation. For question 2 you will have to use the plane wave [itex] \Psi (x,t) = Ae^{i(kx-\omega t)} [/itex] in the wave equation and perform the differentiations. Then you should be able to do part one and part two.

i don't know how to perform the differentiation. because i have not study differentiation, i don't know question 2 too.

Ming0407 said:
i don't know how to perform the differentiation. because i have not study differentiation, i don't know question 2 too.

Well why are you doing QM if you haven't done enough math before?

And there are tons of tutorials on the internet on calculus. Do you want us to show you some of those?

Ming0407 said:

You're taking QM and have not taken Calculus I?

How is that possible?

Ming0407 said:

I'm not sure we can help you other than giving you the answer in that case, which is against the spirit of the forum. I could spend 30 minutes typing out a tutorial on how to differentiate exponentials but frankly I don't think it would help when you have never taken any calculus and you're doing a QM course.

I must ask, are you self-studying or on a college or university course?

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles interact with each other and their surroundings through principles of uncertainty, probability, and wave-particle duality.

2. What is the significance of U=100v and U=10000v in quantum mechanics?

U=100v and U=10000v represent the potential energy of a particle in an electric field. This energy is measured in volts (v) and can impact the behavior and properties of the particle, such as its wavelength.

3. How do U=100v and U=10000v affect the wavelengths of particles?

The potential energy of a particle (U) is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that as U increases, the wavelength of the particle decreases. This relationship is described by the de Broglie wavelength equation, which states that wavelength = h/p, where h is Planck's constant and p is the momentum of the particle.

4. Can U=100v and U=10000v have different effects on particles?

Yes, the effect of U=100v and U=10000v on particles can differ depending on the specific conditions and properties of the particles. For example, a particle with a higher mass may be less affected by changes in U compared to a particle with a lower mass.

5. How does quantum mechanics impact our daily lives?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in many modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials at a microscopic level and provides the foundation for fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing.