Derivative of integral over distribution

In summary, Bob was trying to do derivative work with an integral over a distribution, and he was having trouble with the graphs not matching up. He believes that the derivative is the following: $\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\left[ [1-G(p-y)]-yg(p-y)dz\right]$, but when he simulates the two in MATLAB, the graphs don't match up. He is confused about why this is the case. He also asks for help confirming the derivative that he got.
bob_johnson
Hi,

I am doing work that requires me to take the derivative of an integral over a distribution. I believe I calculated it correctly, but when I simulate the results in matlab, the plot for the integral and its derivative don't match up.

Here is the equation:

[tex]
$\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\left[ p[1-G(p-y)]+\int_{-\infty }^{p-y}zg(z)dz\right] f(y)dy$
[/tex]

where G is the cdf of z with g the associated pdf, and F is the CDF of y with f the associated pdf.

I believe the derivative is the following:

[tex]
$\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\left[ [1-G(p-y)]-yg(p-y)dz\right] $
[/tex]

But, when I simulate the two in MATLAB the graphs don't match up. See attached pdf.

Thanks for your help.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Bob

Attachments

• Sample.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the equation:
[tex] $\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\left[ p[1-G(p-y)]+\int_{-\infty }^{p-y}zg(z)dz\right] f(y)dy$ [/tex]
where G is the cdf of z with g the associated pdf, and F is the CDF of y with f the associated pdf.

[tex]$\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\left[ [1-G(p-y)]-yg(p-y)dz\right] $[/tex]

But, when I simulate the two in MATLAB the graphs don't match up. See attached pdf.

Thanks for your help.

bob_johnson said:

[tex]$\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\left[ [1-G(p-y)]-yg(p-y)dz\right] $[/tex]

I don't understand what you did. Did you differentiate inside the integral sign with respect to [itex] y [/itex]?

Did you differentiate [itex] G(p-y) [/itex] with respect to [itex] y [/itex]? Why didn't it become [tex] g(p-y) [/tex] ?

Good point. My apologies. I need the derivative with respect to p. Thanks for responding!

Assuming we can differentiate inside the integral sign, wouldn't we have:

[tex] D_p \left ( p(1 - G(p-y) \right) = 1 - G(p-y) - pg(p-y) [/tex]

and
[tex] D_p \left(\int_{-\infty}^{p-y}zg(z) dz \right) = (p-y)g(p-y) [/tex]

Yes, that's what I have thanks. Actually, I just noticed there is a type in the derivative that I wrote above. For some reason, the site's preview for latex doesn't work for me.

the derivative that I got, which confirms with yours, is:

[tex]$\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\left[ [1-G(p-y)]-pg(p-y)+\left( p-y\right) g(p-y)%
\right] f(y)dy$[/tex]

and thus becomes:

[tex]$\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\left[ [1-G(p-y)]-yg(p-y)\right] f(y)dy$[/tex]

So, I wonder where I'm going wrong with my simulation. As indicated in my plots in sample.pdf above, the graphs of the two functions just don't match up. Given the functions, he graph of the first-order condition with respect to p should cross 0 where the graph of the first equation is at a maximum. Clearly from the graphs that I attached above, they don't. I'm perplexed. I'm pretty sure that I didn't make a coding mistake, but I guess if your calculation of the derivative agrees with mine, then I did somehow. Any suggestions a to how to determine which graph is correct, because I am using those functions in my simulation.

Thanks again for your help!

bob_johnson said:
For some reason, the site's preview for latex doesn't work for me.

It doesn't work for anybody. There's a bug in it. You have to do the preview and then have your browser reload the page. Before you reload it, the preview just looks crazy.

Maybe regularity conditions for differentiating inside the integral don't apply. What are the specific functions involved?

In your first plot, why isn't the vertical axis in units of probability?

I'm just using the normal distribution.

So, y~N(1,1)
and z~N(0,1)

In other words, G = N(0,1) and F=N(1,1).

I haven't checked the regularity conditions. I guess I should.

I'm not sure what you mean by units of probability.
For the first graph, I fix a value for p, and then just take the expectation over y, using numerical quadrature. So, what I plot as "v" is just the value of that first equation for a given p. I do the same for the second graph, where "fonc" is the value of that second equation.

My end goal is to confirm the choice of maximum of the first function by finding the root (choice of p) of the first-order condition.

1. What is the derivative of an integral over a distribution?

The derivative of an integral over a distribution is known as the fundamental theorem of calculus for distributions. It states that for a continuous function f and a distribution u, the derivative of the integral of f over u is equal to the product of f and u's derivatives.

2. How is the derivative of an integral over a distribution different from a regular integral?

The derivative of an integral over a distribution is a more general concept than a regular integral. It allows for the integration of a wider class of functions, including distributions which are not traditional functions. Additionally, the derivative of an integral over a distribution is defined using the concept of distributions, rather than the traditional definition of derivatives.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating the derivative of an integral over a distribution?

One example is the derivative of the integral of the Dirac delta function. The Dirac delta function is a distribution that is equal to 0 everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. The derivative of the integral of the Dirac delta function is equal to the derivative of the Dirac delta function itself, which is equal to the negative of the Dirac delta function.

4. Why is the concept of derivative of an integral over a distribution important in mathematics?

The concept of derivative of an integral over a distribution is important because it allows for the integration of a wider class of functions, including distributions. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as in partial differential equations and functional analysis. It also provides a more general framework for understanding the relationship between integrals and derivatives.

5. Are there any applications of the derivative of an integral over a distribution in real-world problems?

Yes, the concept of derivative of an integral over a distribution has many applications in physics and engineering. For example, it is used in solving problems related to heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. It also has applications in economics and finance, particularly in the study of option pricing and risk management.