Understanding Zero Sets: Real Analysis Examples

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a zero set in real analysis and how to determine if a given set is a zero set. A zero set is a subset of the real numbers on which a function equals 0, or the set of roots of a function. To check if a given set is a zero set, one must plug in each value into the function and assert that it equals 0.
Demon117
What is the definition of a zero set and what exactly does it mean?

I have come across different responses on the internet, but none of them explain really what it means or give good examples, I am having a rough time with this concept in real analysis.

For example, how would I determine if {(x,f(x)) : x in R} (f maps R to R is continuous) is a zero set? What would I be looking at to help determine that?

Physics news on Phys.org
matumich26 said:
What is the definition of a zero set and what exactly does it mean?

I have come across different responses on the internet, but none of them explain really what it means or give good examples, I am having a rough time with this concept in real analysis.

For example, how would I determine if {(x,f(x)) : x in R} (f maps R to R is continuous) is a zero set? What would I be looking at to help determine that?

Are you talking about the empty set? An empty set is a set that has no valid elements and whose size is 0. It is also denoted by ∅. For example, {x∈R | x2 < 0} = ∅.

Also, to add to this, {(x,f(x)) : x in R} = ∅ only if there's no function. Otherwise, we can find a valid coordinate point.

gb7nash said:
Are you talking about the empty set? An empty set is a set that has no valid elements and whose size is 0. It is also denoted by ∅. For example, {x∈R | x2 < 0} = ∅.

Also, to add to this, {(x,f(x)) : x in R} = ∅ only if there's no function. Otherwise, we can find a valid coordinate point.

No, I am not talking about an empty set. That is trivial.

Do you mean a set of measure zero?? A null set?

Well, if he's referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_set

a zero set of a function f is the subset of R on which f(x) = 0. Basically, the set of roots of a function. To check that a given set is a zero set, just plug in each value into f and assert that f = 0. If that's not what he wants I'm not sure.

1. What is a zero set in real analysis?

A zero set in real analysis is a set of all points where a function equals zero.

2. Why is understanding zero sets important in real analysis?

Understanding zero sets is important in real analysis because it helps us determine important properties of a function, such as its roots, critical points, and behavior at different points.

3. What are some common examples of zero sets in real analysis?

Some common examples of zero sets in real analysis include the x-axis in a Cartesian plane, the solution set of a polynomial equation, and the set of points where a continuous function crosses the x-axis.

4. How can we find the zero set of a function?

The zero set of a function can be found by setting the function equal to zero and solving for the variable. This can be done algebraically or graphically.

5. What are some applications of zero sets in real analysis?

Zero sets have various applications in real analysis, including optimization problems, curve sketching, and solving differential equations. They also have applications in physics, economics, and engineering.