Axis of revolution-washer/disks

• Thread starter emk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis
In summary, the conversation is discussing different methods for finding the volume of a shape with a cylindrical base and a spire on top, represented by the equations Y=x^2, y=0, x=1 and v=pi r^2 T. The participants suggest breaking up the shape into two integrals, with one representing the cylinder and the other representing the spire. They also mention the use of the disk or washer method for integration. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to find the intersection points and rewrite the equation for easier integration.
emk
Y=x^2, y=0, x=1 ; about x=2

v=pi r^2 T

I tried 0 to 1 intg (x^3-2)^2+2^2 dx, but it wasn't right. Not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
We're not sure what you are doing, either.

Use the homework template and give a complete problem statement.

It may help to break that thing up into two different integrals. The thing is shaped like a circus tent. That is, a cylinder with a spire on top. The cylinder integration can be done without calculus. Then do the spire part using your books formula (the formula for volume basically) and add the two.

QuarkCharmer said:
It may help to break that thing up into two different integrals. The thing is shaped like a circus tent. That is, a cylinder with a spire on top. The cylinder integration can be done without calculus. Then do the spire part using your books formula (the formula for volume basically) and add the two.

I see no spire on top, just an oddly-shaped cylinder.

verty said:
I see no spire on top, just an oddly-shaped cylinder.
QuarkCharmer's description makes sense to me. The point of the spire is at x=2, the axis of revolution. But the washer method just seems to complicate matters. emk, were you told to use that method here?

haruspex said:
QuarkCharmer's description makes sense to me. The point of the spire is at x=2, the axis of revolution. But the washer method just seems to complicate matters. emk, were you told to use that method here?

Yes, either the disk or washer method.

Unless I am mistaken:

mwttz8.jpg

You could easily find all these intersection points, and rewrite the equation to integrate such that the integration makes more sense to you.

Hope that is helpful.

What is an axis of revolution for washers/disks?

An axis of revolution for washers/disks is an imaginary line around which a circular shape can be rotated to create a three-dimensional object.

How is the axis of revolution used in washer/disk calculations?

The axis of revolution is used to determine the volume and surface area of a washer/disk by providing a reference point for measuring the dimensions of the shape.

What is the difference between a washer and a disk?

A washer is a two-dimensional shape with a hole in the center, while a disk is a three-dimensional object with a circular base and no hole. In washer/disk calculations, the washer is used to find the volume of a solid with a hollow center, and the disk is used to find the volume of a solid with a solid center.

How do you find the volume of a washer/disk?

To find the volume of a washer/disk, you first need to find the area of the circular base using the formula A=πr². Then, you subtract the area of the smaller circle (if using a washer) or add the area of the larger circle (if using a disk) to get the area of the shape. Finally, multiply the area by the height of the shape to get the volume.

What are some real-world applications of the axis of revolution for washers/disks?

The axis of revolution for washers/disks is used in various engineering and manufacturing processes, such as creating cylindrical objects like pipes and tubes, calculating the volume of containers like barrels and buckets, and designing gears and pulleys.