Proof of (0,100) Cover Not Finite: Title Under 65 Characters

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Since the intersection of any two closed interval subsets in S is also a closed interval subset of S,The cover of (0,100) is the intersection of all the closed interval subsets in S.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

(0,100) has a cover that consists of a finite number of closed interval subsets.

I'm really lost with this one. I can clearly understand why the statement is false, but I'm not sure my proof is good.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly this is false, so I am trying to disprove it.

Proof:
Let S =(0,100) and let C be a cover of S.
Since C contains finitely many closed interval subsets of S,
C has a least element.
Let X_i =[a,b][itex]\in[/itex]C be a subset of S, [itex]\forall[/itex]a,b[itex]\in[/itex]R^+
such that 0<a<b<100

Since there is no smallest positive real number, (which i have proved before),
there is an infinite number of X_i's in C.
But C has a finite number of elements.
This is a contradiction.
Q.E.D.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean for C to have a least element? Can one have a least set?

Stuff like this is the problem you have, things that are meaningless or not properly defined.

It certainly seems like it. If C is a set containing a finite number of sets, then you could number each set in C, and since there is a finite number, one of them must be the least?

Well, after considering what you said a little more...

I was thinking that I could let C be the cover of (0,100), then come up with some sort of closed interval like

[50-v(n), 50+v(n)]

to represent a generic closed interval subset in C.
v(n) in this case, would be a function of real number n, such that as n approaches infinity,
the interval converges on [0,100]
(If this is even possible to write, I haven't came up with a v(n) yet).

If the cover is a set of many such [50-v(n), 50+v(n)] 's with different n's, then could I show that there is always another n value (and thus, another set in C), which would bring the interval closer to (0,1).

Which means there would NEED to be an infinite number of closed-interval subsets in C, and thus, there is a contradiction.

My thought is, that this is not valid because then it only shows that C contains infinitely many closed interval subsets of (0,100) for that specific type of closed interval, and not "any". Since there could be many different covers...

Am I even on the right path here? When I try to look up more information that would be helpful, like that "The union of finitely many closed intervals is closed", I only find information on Topology which is far outside the scope of my class.

I feel that there is just something really obvious that I am missing here.

QuarkCharmer said:
Well, after considering what you said a little more...

I was thinking that I could let C be the cover of (0,100), then come up with some sort of closed interval like

[50-v(n), 50+v(n)]

to represent a generic closed interval subset in C.
v(n) in this case, would be a function of real number n, such that as n approaches infinity,
the interval converges on [0,100]
(If this is even possible to write, I haven't came up with a v(n) yet).

If the cover is a set of many such [50-v(n), 50+v(n)] 's with different n's, then could I show that there is always another n value (and thus, another set in C), which would bring the interval closer to (0,1).

Which means there would NEED to be an infinite number of closed-interval subsets in C, and thus, there is a contradiction.

My thought is, that this is not valid because then it only shows that C contains infinitely many closed interval subsets of (0,100) for that specific type of closed interval, and not "any". Since there could be many different covers...

Am I even on the right path here? When I try to look up more information that would be helpful, like that "The union of finitely many closed intervals is closed", I only find information on Topology which is far outside the scope of my class.

I feel that there is just something really obvious that I am missing here.

If by 'cover' you mean there are a finite number of sets whose union equals (0,100), then I think your original idea for the proof works fine. If ##X_i=[a_i,b_i]## take the minimum of the ##a_i##.

I think I ended up doing something like that.

My proof was basically this (I'm paraphrasing from memory)Proof:
Assume that (0,100) has a cover consisting of a finite number of closed interval subsets.
Let S be a collection of closed interval subsets of (0,100), such that
[itex](0,100)\in\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}S_{i}[/itex] So, it's a cover of (0,100)...

We organize the closed intervals in S first by left bound values in ascending order, then by right bounds in ascending order. Resulting in the ordered S having the form:
[itex]S = {[a_1,b_1],[a_1,b_2],...,[a_1,b_j],[a_2,b_1],[a_2,b_2],...,[a_2,b_j],...,[a_i,b_{j-i}],[a_i,b_j]}[/itex] for i,j are natural numbers.

So each closed interval subset of (0,100) in S, is represented as [itex][a_1, b_j][/itex]

Then I noted for clarification, that i and j are simply indexes, and that each a_i and b_j were in fact real numbers.

Now I defined a value that I called L, the lowest value of S. (This is just my convention for this).
L is the smallest of either [itex]a_1[/itex] or [itex]b_1[/itex],
if they are equal (then the interval is a closed singleton?), then I just said "take a_1 then"...

so L is now basically defined as the smallest number like Dick mentioned above.

Then I claimed that for any L in (0,1), there is a K in (0,1) such that K = L/2.

This shows that S has infinitely many elements, and thus, is contradictory to my assumption that it had a finite number of elements.
Q.E.D.
How does that look?

Last edited:
QuarkCharmer said:
I think I ended up doing something like that.

My proof was basically this (I'm paraphrasing from memory)

Proof:
Assume that (0,100) has a cover consisting of a finite number of closed interval subsets.
Let S be a collection of closed interval subsets of (0,100), such that
[itex](0,100)\in\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}S_{i}[/itex] So, it's a cover of (0,100)...

We organize the closed intervals in S first by left bound values in ascending order, then by right bounds in ascending order. Resulting in the ordered S having the form:
[itex]S = {[a_1,b_1],[a_1,b_2],...,[a_1,b_j],[a_2,b_1],[a_2,b_2],...,[a_2,b_j],...,[a_i,b_{j-i}],[a_i,b_j]}[/itex] for i,j are natural numbers.

So each closed interval subset of (0,100) in S, is represented as [itex][a_1, b_j][/itex]

Then I noted for clarification, that i and j are simply indexes, and that each a_i and b_j were in fact real numbers.

Now I defined a value that I called L, the lowest value of S. (This is just my convention for this).
L is the smallest of either [itex]a_1[/itex] or [itex]b_1[/itex],
if they are equal (then the interval is a closed singleton?), then I just said "take a_1 then"...

so L is now basically defined as the smallest number like Dick mentioned above.

Then I claimed that for any L in (0,1), there is a K in (0,1) such that K = L/2.

This shows that S has infinitely many elements, and thus, is contradictory to my assumption that it had a finite number of elements.
Q.E.D.

How does that look?

Your set of closed intervals is {[a1,b1],[a2,b2],[a3,b3],...,[an,bn]}. That doesn't include intervals like [a1,b2]. And in the notation [ai,bi] it's always the case that ai<=bi. If you clear up some confusion about the notation the proof is a lot simpler.

Likes 1 person

What does "Proof of (0,100) Cover Not Finite: Title Under 65 Characters" mean?

The term "Proof of (0,100) Cover Not Finite: Title Under 65 Characters" refers to a specific mathematical proof that demonstrates that a given set of numbers between 0 and 100 cannot be covered or represented by a finite number of elements.

Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it provides insight into the nature of numbers and their properties. It also has practical applications in various fields such as computer science, economics, and physics.

What is the significance of the title being under 65 characters?

The title being under 65 characters is significant because it follows the guidelines for brevity in scientific writing. It also suggests that the proof is concise and can be explained in a succinct manner.

How was this proof developed?

This proof was likely developed through a combination of mathematical reasoning, experimentation, and collaboration with other scientists. It may have also been inspired by previous research and theories.

Are there any real-world applications for this proof?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for this proof. Some examples include optimizing computer algorithms, predicting stock market trends, and analyzing physical systems that involve numbers between 0 and 100.